Need Help With My Set Up (I Am A Beginner!) - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I think you need to SLOW DOWN.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yeah, seriously, man... learn what you're doing before you keep buying more. You're going to just eventually be looking at a bunch of gear really blank...

*shrug*
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I had a half hour conversation with the guy at the music store. He DJ's and personally he said he uses unpowered peavy's and he explained to the stuff which i spoke about in my previous post.

Tech Mentor

To answer your questions:

Your Mini KP only has one in and one out, so if you want to use it on the individual decks out of Traktor, you'd probably have to mix in external mode using an external mixer. Otherwise you'd probably have to use it just on the master channel, though yeah it's sorta foggy to me because I don't want to think too much about this haha.

2. Why exactly do you want speakers? I'm going to assume you want to get a pair for your master channel and then you'd listen on your headphones for the cue...in that case I wouldn't buy speakers already, I'd find some speakers that I have lying around the house (I use computer speakers).

3. You'd need to focus on getting the basics down before buying a full club setup!

To help you relate, I DJ'd on mouse/keyboard for a month or two to make sure I enjoyed DJ'ing. Then I moved on to a simple BCD-2000 (great when it worked) to get the hang of things even further. I don't mean to sound like a geezer but IMO you're plunging into everything way too fast without learning a thing.

Just get your VCI, find some speakers, grab your headphones, and start beatmatching and go from there. It really doesn't matter what your equipment is - you have to train your ears and brain more than anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    Just get your VCI, find some speakers, grab your headphones, and start beatmatching and go from there. It really doesn't matter what your equipment is - you have to train your ears and brain more than anything else!
    I think that's a good line and a reminder for all of us noobs out here. Time spent listening tracks and trying to get them to go together nicely isn't valued in money but gives you plenty. Well, if not plenty of money then plenty of skills.

I think people misunderstand me. I've been in the "DJ" scene for a while. I started with production and such when i was 15 now i am trying to jump into LIVE djing. I have just fiddled around with traktor for about a year now i just need to know how to effectively make the jump to a full on DJ

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee8980 View Post
    I think people misunderstand me. I've been in the "DJ" scene for a while. I started with production and such when i was 15 now i am trying to jump into LIVE djing. I have just fiddled around with traktor for about a year now i just need to know how to effectively make the jump to a full on DJ
    Practice and find like minded people to hopefully learn from and eventually get a gig from .

I ordered a Presonus Firebox today. As I am looking at the back, I noticed it seems to not have RCA inputs? Will I be able to hook up my VCI 100 to it?

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee8980 View Post
    I ordered a Presonus Firebox today. As I am looking at the back, I noticed it seems to not have RCA inputs? Will I be able to hook up my VCI 100 to it?
    It seems that you've misunderstood the connections between vci, laptop and soundcard. VCI connects to laptop via USB, then laptop connects to soundcard via USB/FW.

So something like this:

VCI<--[USB]-->Laptop<--[Firewire]-->Firebox<--[RCA]-->Soundsystem(speakers or amplifier)

Not VCI<--[RCA]-->Firebox<--[USB]-->Laptop or anything else.

ASCII diagrams ftw.
    Last edited by Aanrii; 07-15-2008 at 02:58 AM. Reason: spelling

sorry it was about 3 am last night. What I meant was are the outputs and inputs RCA on the firebox ?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast