Need Help With My Set Up (I Am A Beginner!)
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Need Help With My Set Up (I Am A Beginner!)

Ok Ok so I already have Traktor 3 and some nice Audio Technica DJ Headphones. I am set on buying the VCI 100 and an M Audio Pro USB Soundcard. Would I need anything else?

would I need an amp to power the large speakers I will buy sometime in the future. I am an aspiring club DJ. I started out with Adobe Audition back in the day and remixing now im onto Traktor 3 and so far I have taught myself most of its features etc.

What do you guys recommend. Thank you

PS How hard is it to sync the VCI controls with Traktor
    Last edited by jaycee8980; 07-07-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee8980 View Post
    Ok Ok so I already have Traktor 3 and some nice Audio Technica DJ Headphones. I am set on buying the VCI 100 and an M Audio Pro USB Soundcard. Would I need anything else?

would I need an amp to power the large speakers I will buy sometime in the future. I am an aspiring club DJ. I started out with Adobe Audition back in the day and remixing now im onto Traktor 3 and so far I have taught myself most of its features etc.

What do you guys recommend. Thank you
    A DAW app, some MP3s, an external soundcard with 4 outputs and some kind of MIDI controller, that's it. The rest is down to your skill and imagination.

Amp and speakers can wait. PA is a whole different kettle of fish that I'm just learning about The key seems to be break your signal into different bands and amplify each using a physically separate Amp. Active speakers are good for fast no hassle setup and teardown, but they perpetuate the original problems of full-range amps with passive crossovers - and it's opinions like this that start flame wars...

I have 14,000 Singles. Thats more then enough I think So a the VCI 100 and the M Audio Pro sounds good???

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Pretty much go with what Fatlimey said. You don't really need to worry about a PA system yet. Worry about that when you decide to go mobile. Clubs will be more than likely to provide you with more than what you'll need. I would get a MIDI controller to augment the VCI-100, though: either a small keyboard or a trigger unit. The VCI-100 is a wonderful tool, but that slight extra will send you leaps and bounds forward.

:-) Good luck to ya
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Pretty much go with what Fatlimey said. You don't really need to worry about a PA system yet. Worry about that when you decide to go mobile. Clubs will be more than likely to provide you with more than what you'll need. I would get a MIDI controller to augment the VCI-100, though: either a small keyboard or a trigger unit. The VCI-100 is a wonderful tool, but that slight extra will send you leaps and bounds forward.

:-) Good luck to ya
    What would a MIDI controller help me do?? What would you recommend??

In all honesty keep it simple in a club the VCI100 will treat you well as long you take your time to learn what you can do with it. The best thing to do in all honesty would be to buy either a set of CD players or turntables as they are both much more common in a nightclub and will be taking up most of the space you'll need for the VCI100 let alone an extra controller . You may want to look into some sort of vinyl contol system like Traktor Skratch or Serato .

What would a MIDI controller help me do?? What would you recommend??
    Using the mouse, you can only alter one value at a time, followed by a slight delay while you mouse over to the next value. For certain operations like starting tracks and killing the low-end this is fine, but if you want immersive interactive control over the sound you need a device that allows you to use *both* your hands at once, and presents as many options at a time as you can handle.

A general purpose controller, like the VCI-100 or X-Session Pro will be a good starting point for mixing, and as you find your style you can add additional controller devices like a Trigger Finger Pro or a Novation Remote Zero SL to give you more access to filters, events or special effects that you have set up. MIDI is great like that, you just chain the devices together, set each one to transmit on a different channel and you are off and running.

So yes, your proposed setup sounds just fine. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    In all honesty keep it simple in a club the VCI100 will treat you well as long you take your time to learn what you can do with it. The best thing to do in all honesty would be to buy either a set of CD players or turntables as they are both much more common in a nightclub and will be taking up most of the space you'll need for the VCI100 let alone an extra controller . You may want to look into some sort of vinyl contol system like Traktor Skratch or Serato .
    I have a HDD with over 14,000 singles on it I would never be caught lugging that many cd's around

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    Using the mouse, you can only alter one value at a time, followed by a slight delay while you mouse over to the next value. For certain operations like starting tracks and killing the low-end this is fine, but if you want immersive interactive control over the sound you need a device that allows you to use *both* your hands at once, and presents as many options at a time as you can handle.

A general purpose controller, like the VCI-100 or X-Session Pro will be a good starting point for mixing, and as you find your style you can add additional controller devices like a Trigger Finger Pro or a Novation Remote Zero SL to give you more access to filters, events or special effects that you have set up. MIDI is great like that, you just chain the devices together, set each one to transmit on a different channel and you are off and running.

So yes, your proposed setup sounds just fine. Go for it!
    Would the VCI's controls sync well over to Traktor 3???? Or would it be very hard to get them to correlate?

Also I see you recommended the X Session pro. There is a huge price difference between the VCI-100 and the X-Session pro. What would you recommend? It seems as if the VCI - 100 has many more functions as well as two track wheels?

Which syncs better with traktor
    Last edited by jaycee8980; 07-07-2008 at 03:35 PM.

I have a HDD with over 14,000 singles on it I would never be caught lugging that many cd's around
    You won't be playing 14,000 songs in one night . I'd recomend having a small wallet of CD's no matter what you plan on using as a back up .

I like full control. I have a nearly $4,000 custom Sager/Clevo laptop. I am sticking to this. Thank you for your help though!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast