VCI-100 Beatmatching

Default VCI-100 Beatmatching

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here managed to learn how to beatmatch on a vci-100.

I would really like to learn how to beatmatch by ear and I can only use a vci-100 at the moment.

If you're using Traktor just turn off all the indicators (waveforms, phase meter, BPM numbers, etc.) and go to town. If you have the 1.4 firmware and the DJTT mappings it's probably best, as you can click one button to go to browse mode (hides all the indicators), and the firmware extends the resolution of the jog wheels and pitch fader so you can make very fine adjustments. It's still no long technics turntable pitch fader but it does the trick, you just have to learn to be really light on the pitch fader as tiny adjustments go a long way. Then use the outer ring of the jog wheel to keep the thing in phase.

If you've never done it on turntables though I would find a way to do that first so you get a better idea of what you're doing; I am not sure what it would be like to learn just on the VCI but I suppose it's not that idfferent from using CDJs in the beginning.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

By the way, even though it doesn't have the nice feel of a long technics pitch fader, it is probably much more accurate in the end since you can make very tiny adjustments and since it's all digital they will hold more consistently.

I learned how to beatmatch on a bcd3000 with VERY shitty jogwheels (dials even). The vci will work fine for you, just put in the time, and resist the sync button, even when it gets way out of time.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I just need to practice a lot because everytime I try to beatmatch it just sounds like a mess to me and when I rarely get the beats to match they only stay like that for 2 seconds.

I'm also tempted to turn the phase meter on.

beatmaching by ear is so uncool superstar dj's today just hit play lol... just turn off the sync button in traktor beatmatching by ear isn't all that dificult, but it does take practice to get the hang of

I learned how to beatmatch on a numark mixtrack. I'm now using an S2, and granted I still have some hiccups, but overall it can be done. Make sure to adjust the pitch range for the pitch faders... I used 4% on my mixtrack so I had better accuracy with the shitty fader. Don't turn off the indicators at first either cause they'll serve as a comparison point and will show you your progress, just don't stare at the screen. That's how I still do it and each time I find myself being so much accurate than the last time, getting the right bpms and getting stuff in phase quicker and quicker. It'll be frustrating at first so just have short sessions of "beatmatching practice"... say, an hour tops. Otherwise you'll feel so frustrated you'll want to sell your stuff and quit, lol. Or maybe not, but in the end it's about having fun, and worrying too much about beatmatching at first will be completely detrimental to that purpose.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Quote Originally Posted by evol33 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I just need to practice a lot because everytime I try to beatmatch it just sounds like a mess to me and when I rarely get the beats to match they only stay like that for 2 seconds.
    Then you're doing it right. Seriously. Don't listen to people who tell you they learned to beatmatch in 20 minutes; they are either idiot savants or just idiots. It will take a while to learn and you will sound like shit at first. You'll get lucky now and again, think you've got it, and then you will go back to sucking the next day. Be patient and let yourself suck for a while and eventually your body will learn it. Your brain already understands it, so you get frustrated because your body can't keep up - your ears need to learn to what to listen for; your fingers need to learn what to feel and how to respond. Eventually it will kick in and become second nature.
    I'm also tempted to turn the phase meter on.
    Resist this temptation. The phase meter is an amazing tool but it makes beatmatching way too easy -- you can beatmatch just by sight without even listening to the output if you want to. This is bad if you want to learn to do it by ear; leave the meter off and just trainwreck over and over again until you get it right.

Tech Convert

It's still no long technics turntable pitch fader but it does the trick, you just have to learn to be really light on the pitch fader as tiny adjustments go a long way

Used turntables for over 20 years.

(Technics, Vestax)

Then moved over to the darkside of Digital. (I'm loving it way more)

I always have a big problem with Technics performance.

For example in my studio my set where in tip top condition..... even had the arms customised with silver cable and got rid of the shitty cheap phono cable and flimsy ground connection. (this improved the sound drastically)

Worked like a cham... as I was the only one using them.

Yet the reality of being a pro dj and playing out in clubs and outside raves for a long, long time and having to use the shitty in house Techincs etc that where not in the best condition to be honest was not so romantic.

I fucking hated it.......... some where in such bad condition and the pitch strayed all over the shop... so for the set I was constantly fighting with the things.

This is not good for creativeness.

Only the top, top clubs had them serviced on a regular basis.

But we cannot all be playing in the Ministry of Sound and have the choice of what make and model and colour we desire to use.

So its easy for us all to be romantic about Vinyl.

Beat Mixing........... can be nailed down in six months constant practice using a very good condition direct drive turntable. Learning the rest takes a lifetime...

Music selection.
    Crowd reading.

Not easy to do in your bedroom.