Peavey 215 usage
    Tech Mentor

Default Peavey 215 usage

Hey guys, I bought Peavey PV 215 speakers there a few months ago with a 700 watt a T.amp amplifier.

Was wondering I was scared of EQing bass out of them with my mixer, I hear loads of storys of guys destroying their equipment doing this.

I am wondering what shoudl I limit the bass at.

I have the limiter enabled just incase.

I know I should Invest in subs but that wont be for a while.

What do you guys is the safe thign to do.

I never hear any clipping when I EQ a fair amount of bass either.

Also If you could point me in the direction of a good article/website about this issue (in lay mans terms ofcourse, or with an explanation of the technical terms)

Thanks

More info on the amp would help! Not sure what kind of limiter you're dealing with.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Use your eyes and ears - make sure they aren't distorting and you're not clipping your amp - they can take a bit of abuse.

Tech Mentor

@jakeintox Sorry forgot to add the model its a T.amp E800 power amp.

Also I have it in stereo mode.

The limiter limits output level such that maximum distortion is 5%, if that helps.

Thanks for helping

@sss18734 The amp has a cliiping LED but I never see it clipping, plus I dont hear any gristley distorted sounds it must be cool.

Just want to make sure I am taking care of my stuff and keeping it maintained.

Thanks for yoru advice

Is that 700 watts per speaker, or total? Either way this system seems underpowered, I would be most concerned about clipping your amplifier, which could overheat your speakers. You should be able to give those speakers at least twice the wattage you're giving them now, But as long as you aren't redlining the amp you probably aren't going to hurt them

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

...And looking at the amp as well as your last post, it sounds like you'll be just fine. Good on you for taking care of your gear!

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    ...And looking at the amp as well as your last post, it sounds like you'll be just fine. Good on you for taking care of your gear!
    They are 700 watt each with a peak of 1400 watts.

okay thats cool

Well it cost enough :P

So there is alot of head room their for more powerful amp, because I am understanding now that 500 watts @ 4 ohms output power maybe underpowering the speakers or ?

Thanks again for your help

You aren't too underpowered, but ideally you want to give those speakers at least 700 watts apiece, probably closer to 1000. Here's some good reading on the subject that I just found on another thread.

http://www.crownaudio.com/how_much_power.htm

Imho save up for a 2000 watt stereo amp for those mains, then look for a passive sub to push with your current amp. $$$!!!

In the mean time your system is sufficient, and will last you many years if you keep taking care of it!

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    You aren't too underpowered, but ideally you want to give those speakers at least 700 watts apiece, probably closer to 1000. Here's some good reading on the subject that I just found on another thread.

http://www.crownaudio.com/how_much_power.htm

Imho save up for a 2000 watt stereo amp for those mains, then look for a passive sub to push with your current amp. $$$!!!

In the mean time your system is sufficient, and will last you many years if you keep taking care of it!
    Thats cool aslong as im in the green

So aslong as I am not clipping or distorting with Eqing the bass its fine im guessing?

Yes I seen that thread also, still getting my head around it lol

Might get an Inuke, and for a sub a Behringer B1800X PRO Eurolive and a crossover

Yea im goign to keep an eye on it