Video Mixing

Thread: Video Mixing

Tech Wizard

Default Video Mixing

I was curious to how this can be done with a stand alone mixer without any DVS. I'm basically working with two CDJ900s and a DJM 800. I have a decent laptop that I solely use for browsing and RekordBox.

So my question is:
    What wire/connections/hardware/programs would I need to make a nice fluid video show? I hear that an external sound card may be needed and a nice visualization program can be bought.
    2x CDJ900 - DJM800 - Xone XD2-53 - Ableton Akai APC40 Edition - Rekordbox - 2x HS80M - HS10W - 2x DXR12 - DSX12

Tech Student

Well thanks a lot for sharing your problem. I guess you don't need to take so much mess in it. Downloading video mixing software will do the favor. What say! These are the software- liveDJpro 1.5.667, MediaLooks Video Mixer 1.1.2.1 & Movie Media Player Pro ActiveX OCX SDK 4.01. Using these may help you to a certain extent. Any other sort of problem will be highly appreciated.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

That last post has me mighty confused?

If you have an iPad try out Algorithm's Vjay application its dead simple and would do the trick for small gigs, if don't have one you could try out Resolume, Arkaos, Livid's Cell / Cell DNA, Modul8....all can utilize a separate midi controller for triggering.

However if you are looking to mix the actual music vid's of songs in sync with the music you'll be probably ditching the CDJ's altogether as they are gonna be unless you are going to use some flavor of DVS e.g. Serato, VDJ.

Oh forgot you could go with the pioneer SVM-1000 ... but its $4000 (but very nice).

honestly you'll need to provide more info about what you want to achieve .. just Trippy visuals for a backdrop or music videos mixed.

Tech Guru

Modul8 is one of my favorite VDJ applications. It's really great and you can map midi against it.
    Last edited by GeekGod; 07-23-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Resolume avenue is pretty sweet

Resolume also has a lot of cool high quality VJ footage but it gets pricey: http://resolume.com/footage/

Modul8 is also cool and Cell DNA looks really easy.

You really just need an ok video card and a midi controller for it. Plus of course a nice bright projector and whatever adapters/cables you need from your laptop's videocard to your projector or to connect to a house video system.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 07-23-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Let me introduce another option : WhiteCap, which is a music visualizer.

I bought it (it's cheap : $30) and I run it on my MacBook Pro in standalone mode.
    I use the RCA Master output of my DJM 850 that I plug into the MBP as line in, and WhiteCap will generate fancy images and graphics.

You can choose color themes, the waveforms you want, the time between color changing, the time between waveform changing, the scale etc. That's awesome, because you can create a list of what you think looks the best, and then WhiteCap will randomly browse through it over the night.

No MIDI hassle, works even on a non-digital setup, no need to focus on the video mixing, you just do your stuff and WhitCap does it's job alone in the corner, plugged to a video 'projector' (not sure if it's the correct word) or any display device.

PS : Here's the link for WhiteCap : http://www.soundspectrum.com/whitecap/
    You can DL the trial to see if it fits your needs, but you will have to buy platinium version to have the standalone ability (because WhiteCap can be used with iTunes, Winamp etc aswell) in order to plug the line in from the mixer.
    Last edited by dope; 07-23-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Let me introduce another option : WhiteCap, which is a music visualizer.

I bought it (it's cheap : $30) and I run it on my MacBook Pro in standalone mode.
    I use the RCA Master output of my DJM 850 that I plug into the MBP as line in, and WhiteCap will generate fancy images and graphics.

You can choose color themes, the waveforms you want, the time between color changing, the time between waveform changing, the scale etc. That's awesome, because you can create a list of what you think looks the best, and then WhiteCap will randomly browse through it over the night.

No MIDI hassle, works even on a non-digital setup, no need to focus on the video mixing, you just do your stuff and WhitCap does it's job alone in the corner, plugged to a video 'projector' (not sure if it's the correct word) or any display device.

PS : Here's the link for WhiteCap : http://www.soundspectrum.com/whitecap/
    You can DL the trial to see if it fits your needs, but you will have to buy platinium version to have the standalone ability (because WhiteCap can be used with iTunes, Winamp etc aswell) in order to plug the line in from the mixer.
    Whitecap is cool but read the license - you are not allowed to use it in public. Sorry to be a party-pooper!

EDIT: Here is the license portion.

"No commercial usage rights or rights of public display of visual output of the Software in any form are granted under this EULA, but may be available under a separate agreement provided solely by Licensor. "
    Last edited by GeekGod; 07-23-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added license

Well, in a world where everything can become "free" because of piracy, I decided to play fair and buy it because it's awesome.

Now, I'll use it as I want to, this may be illegal but at some point people should relax a bit seriously. Not to mention i'm not in the US.
    Spot me and come at me bros.

(mods : I know this message is on the borderline, and can be misunderstood into an encouragement of piracy, but it's not, I just wanted to express the fact that some software makers should relax a bit and remove the XL broom they have up in you-know-where (not sure if translating a french idiom is correct though.))

Tech Wizard

Thanks for all the awesome replies guys! Sorry deevey, I didn't know I had all these options. I'm very unfamiliar with the VJ world. I guess what I wanted to do was just have nice scenes (not music videos) that flowed with the music, and Modul8 has some really amazing features! The SVM-1000 is pretty sick, but way out of my price range. lol I had no idea I could map something 3 dimensional via a projector. Very very cool stuff guys. I'll look more into it!
    Last edited by David3151; 07-25-2012 at 04:07 AM.
    2x CDJ900 - DJM800 - Xone XD2-53 - Ableton Akai APC40 Edition - Rekordbox - 2x HS80M - HS10W - 2x DXR12 - DSX12