Controllerism for KDJ-500 with BCR2000 and nanoKontrol for TPro
    Tech Wizard

Default Controllerism for KDJ-500 with BCR2000 and nanoKontrol for TPro

Hi guys,

i reckon the KDJ-500 is not very popular and has as well not been recognized very much here. Nevertheless I own this product for several years now and here you can see what I have done with it in the meantime together with BCR2000 and nanoKontrol.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=87671

If anyone is interested in TSI please speak up

Tech Mentor

the 500 looks neat, but I've already got my rmx, with no budget for new controllers any time soon. (stupid college)

If you're so inclined, I'd be interested in what kind of things you do with the BCR, and what you map all those knobs too. Do you focus on beatjuggling, plain mixing, effects, or what?

Tech Wizard

Segfault, did you follow the above link to the NI forums?
    There you should find it all (photos description masks)

I use the knobs on the Behringer for EQing 4 decks, +Filter + Key + Vol + Gain
    and to control the FX units as i use the internal mixer of TPro to be controlled via these Midi controls.

With your Rmx - I guess - your setup is with external mixer.

btw: what to you mean by "without no budget" ..."stupid college"

Tech Mentor

I'm in school, and between tuition and textbooks, I don't have any money for new gear.

I had not looked at the link, but I'll go through it now.

i used a kdj 500 for most of the last two years... up until a few weeks ago. it's a solid little controller. the faders are really really really trashy feeling, but otherwise it is a serious piece of equipment. it's not feature packed, and it has many shortcomings, but it's the only controller i've ever used which covers exactly the functions i use most in traktor... nothing more, nothing less.

highly recc'ed if you ever come across one, as they are pretty cheap for how rare they are.

i too had to cover the horrid grey metal flake powder coat job. i wrapped it in simple white vinyl. then i splurged on a pair of laser-cut black acrylic discs to replace the foam on the jog wheels. this improved the feel, grip, and sexy factor by about a million.

i am really digging your midi solution there. you've clearly spent a long time thinking it out and putting it together.

did you have any problems with the midi merger and your other controllers? i've always wondered if it actually worked. clearly it does.

are you using any led feedback with kontroldj.net? god, when that came out, the led feedback made being a kdj owner a lot easier. and more fun.

sorry, these are some idiotic questions, but it's been a long time since i've run into another kdj user.

Hello Rudy, I saw your post on the NI site, pretty interesting setup you have. Any video or audio of your rig at work?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PartyMcFly View Post
    ...then i splurged on a pair of laser-cut black acrylic discs to replace the foam on the jog wheels. this improved the feel, grip, and sexy factor by about a million.
    Any photo available? I am considering to try this as well.

i am really digging your midi solution there. you've clearly spent a long time thinking it out and putting it together.
    YEAH I did - and now i find myself trapped in a "motivation vacuum" (see below)

did you have any problems with the midi merger and your other controllers? i've always wondered if it actually worked. clearly it does.
    are you using any led feedback with kontroldj.net? god, when that came out, the led feedback made being a kdj owner a lot easier. and more fun.
    Each midi device works on a dedicated Midi Channel to avoid conflicts in the first place. I do not use the .net control-software for KDJ-500 but the standard driver v1.0. So i do not have LED feedback on the KDJ, but I use it extensively on the BCR. Then I use MidiOX in between KDJ and Traktor to "adjust" a few commands and also have workarounds for a few known Traktor bugs. For instance I fire off an additional midi Note On command via MidiOX if the rightmost "shift lever" on the KDJ is reset from On to Off state as I use this lever for smart control to enter/leave Browser Only mode in TPro (see again NI forum for further details).

sorry, these are some idiotic questions, but it's been a long time since i've run into another kdj user.
    Then I think I am "idiotic" too, because as a matter of fact not so many people present in forums are using KDJ-500 these days. Actually If I would have a 2nd chance maybe I would go for a Numark NS-7 and - with a little help from DJ Quartz - "rape" it to collaborate with TPro. But unfortunately i am too lazy for it now....

...Talking about getting lazy.
    @ JesC:

I found it very inspiring and motivating to figure out this custom setting and make all these adjustments to TSI and those controller-masks etc.. But to tell you the truth - the real truth now:
    Now - I know - it would be the time to really USE this setup and spend many many hours practicing, exploring and take advantage of all these features. But I lack motivation to really do so.
    Maybe it is because it is getting warmer in Northern Germany by now. Sun is coming out and i rather like to go out swimming, playing Tennis or have fun sailing a Laser. But to be honest I rather think it is a psychological problem I am facing. Before exploring "Controllerism" i use my time to find a nice concept for storing and transporting my gear. At the same time I started to collect, tag and beatgrid MP3s. This can also be very "rewarding" as you see your collection getting bigger and and bigger and more structured. So i have collected and tagged about 25.000 songs and 30.000 samples by now. All very nice indeed, but actually at the same time very efficient in restraining yourself from mixing: The final and ultimate challenge for a DJ.

The only situation I experience motivation in terms of "really getting a few tracks together along with a concept for playout" is when there is an upcoming gig. This inevitable causes enough pressure to really develop a DJ-attitude and at least during the gig not appear unprofessional because due to this preparation I am at least able to select "the right track for the right mood" and to mix one track into the other (I even got a complaint last time from somebody who said: "The music was very good but I was unable to identify when a song ends and the next one starts so I was unable to change my partner. So my advise for you is: Could U please pause between songs next time". But theses gigs on birthday parties and weddings happen only 4-6 times a year to me, so eventually i find myself in the bedroom rather twisting and tweaking equipment and software but not actually "in the mix".

What do you think: Am I the typical kind of guy not talented/creative or tough or whatever enough to REALLY DJ.
    Or has anybody experience comparable problems and knows a way out (other than stop DJing)

And to finally answer your question JesC: No there is (of course) nothing in terms of Audio or Video.

Tech Wizard

I have a KDJ and a VCI, the faders in both are actually ALPS faders like in Vextax and pioneer mixers, its the little knobs that make them feel less solid