'Grown-up' controller for Traktor Pro
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 'Grown-up' controller for Traktor Pro

First post, so go easy ...

I've been DJing for about a year now, using Traktor 3 and a BCD3000. The sound quality of the internal soundcard on the Behringer is a bit pony, and the controller feels a bit plasticky, so I thought I'd treat myself to an upgrade.

I like Traktor, so upgraded the Traktor Pro, and would like to stick with this.

I play Old/New school funk, soul, and hip-hop sometimes the breakier end of things and would like to be use my new controller to scratch with.

I've had a look at both the VCI-100 & VCI-300, and have a few questions

For the VCI-100 I'll need an external soundcard - I've got an M-Audio FW Audiophile that I used to use when I had no controller for Traktor. I should imagine this will need replacing? I was going to get an Indigo DJ , but my new laptop has no PCMCIA slot. What would you lot suggest - being compact is good! Is the soundcard inthe VCI-300 up to much?

Is it feasible to use either of the VCI boxes to scratch with?

Any further suggestions for a controller that I could look into?

Cheers

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

On TPro I think the VCI-100 will be your best bet, and upgrading to FW1.4 when it comes out so that you can have better Scratch accuracy.

Also, I'd recommend a small USB powered interface. I love my Audio8, but the Audio4 would do you fine, and is a bit cheaper, but just as powerful.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Cheers,

What's the difference between the VCI 100 and the VCI 100 black - apart from the black one looking whizzier and benig about £50 more expensive?

<edit>

And what's the difference in the firmware updates?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

The only real difference from the VCI100 and the 100B is that the Black one has nicer LEDs and is, well, black.

The firmware upgrades give a whole bunch of extra functionality (with the disadvantage of added MIDI messages) that can be used in concert with Ean's custom TSI's.

The upcoming FW1.4 should get rid of a lot of those weird MIDI messages and should, hopefully, allow the jogs and faders to transmit 14-bit MIDI, which allows for MUCH better accuracy in regards to scratching.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    The only real difference from the VCI100 and the 100B is that the Black one has nicer LEDs and is, well, black.

The firmware upgrades give a whole bunch of extra functionality (with the disadvantage of added MIDI messages) that can be used in concert with Ean's custom TSI's.
    Ah, cheers. Not sure a 15% price increase for a black one is worth it tbh ...

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    The upcoming FW1.4 should get rid of a lot of those weird MIDI messages and should, hopefully, allow the jogs and faders to transmit 14-bit MIDI, which allows for MUCH better accuracy in regards to scratching.
    And Traktor Pro can now cope with 14bit MIDI? Nice! as I understood it one of the major differences between the VCI 100 & the VCI 300 was the 'higher granularity' jog wheels.

Cheers for the help chap. Sorry for coming across as a bit of a n00b on this one. I'm doing a gig in about 10 days with a mate who's got a VCI-100 and rates it, so I might have a play.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Hey, no worries. We were all n00bs at one point, and hell, I still consider myself one

TPro accepts 14-bit MIDI only for jog wheels right now. I am not sure if 1.2 will change that, though.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

hey Teiresias, what's wrong with using the M-Audio FW Audiophile, that's a fine soundcard.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxion View Post
    hey Teiresias, what's wrong with using the M-Audio FW Audiophile, that's a fine soundcard.
    Nowt wrong with it, but the new laptop doesn't have a firewire port on it ...

they make bus adapters for firewire.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Figures this was probably the case, but I was trying to minimise the number of connectors I was going through. I assume you wouldn't be able to draw power through the bus adaptor? else it's yet another wall wart to find a home for when I'm setting up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast