Critique my song please
    Tech Mentor

Default Critique my song please

Hey guys,

Ive been working on Ableton and after many unfinished songs I was able to finish this one. Somehow I arrived at a lounge style track - so i decided to just roll with it. Let me know what you think, if there is anything im missing, and recommendations Short Link to soundcloud below (sorry couldnt figure out how to embed it here)
    http://snd.sc/QwSwkJ
    Cheers

Pretty dope stuff, but far form lounge as you labeled it. It's not very laid bag and the groove doesn't drag to give it a lounge feel. And it's a bit dry as well and not much depth in the mixdown but the writing is pretty solid and it has a good arrangement.

Yeh dude i agree with Jason, cool writing and arrangement, i would like to hear maybe a different bass sound in the choruses or verses just to keep it a little varied. Depth is the important so that things arent fighting. Reverbs with only early reflections and no tail are good for putting your elements into a space and then using a different longer reverb (not a huge one though) to make the elements you need sit further behind. another trick is to use a ping pong delay with little feedback and then put a reverb after this in the chain.

This guy is a world renowned mixing engineer, he doesnt mix electronic music but his concepts and ideas he explains can be used on anything. Check out Dave Pensado at www.pensadosplace.tv His Into The Lair series is soooooo valuable. helped me recently get my head around a few things

PS where is the vocals from ??

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys! What about mastering - would outsourcing it to sound engineers a common practice or should i invest time into learning it myself? i also use headphones for productions (they are of good quality) - is it worth investing in monitors?

Only first track, don't worry about that. Just focus on writing good music right now

Quote Originally Posted by vpech013 View Post
    Thanks guys! What about mastering - would outsourcing it to sound engineers a common practice or should i invest time into learning it myself? i also use headphones for productions (they are of good quality) - is it worth investing in monitors?
    learning the sounds/writing/aranging should be your focus right now....when you start getting an arrangment you like with sounds you like then it might be good to invest in monitors when learning mixdowns