Production - How Do They Get That Sound!? (dubstep)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Production - How Do They Get That Sound!? (dubstep)

so some of you may know i've been getting into production recently, and the love of my life is dubstep. i've wanted to produce in this genre since i feel that kind of music flows through me, but i've hesitated because of a key issue: i can't get the right sound. i feel like there's a big secret about how to get that wobbly bass sound that's typical of a lot of dubstep music. is there a certain synth sound that is huge in dubstep production? or is all done through ground-up creation and modification of basic basslines? anyone that could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    so some of you may know i've been getting into production recently, and the love of my life is dubstep. i've wanted to produce in this genre since i feel that kind of music flows through me, but i've hesitated because of a key issue: i can't get the right sound. i feel like there's a big secret about how to get that wobbly bass sound that's typical of a lot of dubstep music. is there a certain synth sound that is huge in dubstep production? or is all done through ground-up creation and modification of basic basslines? anyone that could point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    Best advice, just keep messing with those synths! Don't try to copy a sound, see everything that you are capable of doing with it and adding effects to it and so on.

Eventual you'll be able to hear a certain sound and have a rough idea of how to reproduce it, or maybe you'll come up with the next big thing, be it in dubstep or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Best advice, just keep messing with those synths! Don't try to copy a sound, see everything that you are capable of doing with it and adding effects to it and so on.

Eventual you'll be able to hear a certain sound and have a rough idea of how to reproduce it, or maybe you'll come up with the next big thing, be it in dubstep or something else.
    excellent advice, first of all! i was thinking this in part, i just didn't know if there was some good way that most use to get that sound, but i like what you said better :P

if you are on live, this might help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMtxpUAKcQ
    Last edited by basspenetrator; 06-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.

I've started educating myself about synths recently. I can only give you a general idea of what to try; I'll assume you have some sort of soft synth [If not google "Synth 1" or "polylblit" for two good freeware subtractive synth vsts]

For a dubstep sound I would try using one or two Sawtooth waveforms transposed down -24 and -12 respectively, and also a Sine waveform transposed -8 or maybe -12, whatever sounds better. Lower the Cutoff point to take out all the high frequencies and then smack on some LFO to get the signal 'wobbling' - another sawtooth for the LFO or even a pulse wave I imagine would get a good effect.

These are only suggestions. You could also Google it to get a pro answer somewhere. But as already said, experiment with the sound you'll be using to make your 'own' sound.

Good luck!
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    if you are on live, this might help
    dude, sweet video. really appreciate the link on that. i use live a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    I've started educating myself about synths recently. I can only give you a general idea of what to try; I'll assume you have some sort of soft synth [If not google "Synth 1" or "polylblit" for two good freeware subtractive synth vsts]

For a dubstep sound I would try using one or two Sawtooth waveforms transposed down -24 and -12 respectively, and also a Sine waveform transposed -8 or maybe -12, whatever sounds better. Lower the Cutoff point to take out all the high frequencies and then smack on some LFO to get the signal 'wobbling' - another sawtooth for the LFO or even a pulse wave I imagine would get a good effect.

These are only suggestions. You could also Google it to get a pro answer somewhere. But as already said, experiment with the sound you'll be using to make your 'own' sound.

Good luck!
    your advice along with that video really set me on the right track, thanks for all the advice guys! i'll be sure to post up some work once i get some stuff laid down

welcome.. just search in youtube for "dubstep ableton" there are some other vids..

Tech Guru

Massive, Albino, Predator, z3ta, and spectrasonics trilogy are all VSTS used by big name producers like Rusko and Benga for basslines.

I use those and I have a personal favourite which is WASP 5, this little synth is capable of some BIG sounds if you know how to use it.

learning how to use synthesizers is half the fun of producing music. Just fiddle around and experiment, I personally don't find tutorials and videos that helpful. It's best to just get your hands dirty and learn the hard way.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 06-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Put saw and and sin oscillators, tuned down an octave, through a filter

Assign Filter cutoff to the LFO rate.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Don't try to copy a sound
    Wrong! - if you dont know what you are doing that is the best place to start, especially if you can find a tutorial on it.

Trying to copy a sound makes you listen to the more subtle details and then learn to decode that into synth settings.

Copying should only be a starting point, but I still find I learn lots when I hear a sound with something unique and then try to reproduce it. But I am just a begginer.

The basis of a dubstep bass line has been outlined here several times allready so I wont comment any futher.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast