Ditching my V7's, getting Numark 4trak
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Ditching my V7's, getting Numark 4trak

I think I'm going to jump on the $799 price point on the numark 4trak. It's what I wanted the V7s to be. I can't buy the s4 because it doesn't have balanced outputs or replaceable crossfader. Not sure I want the vestax machine, I still like the look and feel of the numark machines. Will I be able to use a midi fighter pro with the numark? How much is it to upgrade to a full version of Traktor to get all of the effects? If I was gonna get a midi fighter pro which layout is gonna be best if I'm learning everything from scratch and want to become a great club DJ?

Thanks for your help guys.

Tech Mentor

Yes, you can use a MIDI fighter with the 4Trak. The full Traktor Pro licence costs 79 EUR, there are no upgrade versions anymore.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    Yes, you can use a MIDI fighter with the 4Trak. The full Traktor Pro licence costs 79 EUR, there are no upgrade versions anymore.

And the 4 trak can be used with the full version of traktor if I buy it?

Also, which MIDI fighter is the best layout? I think the beat masher looks the coolest but am going to have to put in the time to learn how to use one from scratch.

Hey man, I dunno if it sways your idea but the S4 while not having balanced outs, does have an innofader you can put in it:
    http://www.innofader.com/products.php?id=14

But id say if you want a midi-fighter id get the beatmasher, its my fav . And yes, the 4Trak can be used in the full version of Traktor.
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Tech Mentor

I googled common problems with the 4trak and ns6 and found that a lot of people are getting let down and having their controller wig out and crash during gigs. My v7s have never crashed, they have blanked out when I used my old slow dual core with lacking ram and xp install. You think the complaints are from people using minimum requirements and trying to run too many effects and decks or do you think there is a real let-down in the new numark controllers?

Tech Mentor

I don't mean to sound like a douche but it seems like you are kind of all over the place. You have a lot of wants and demands but you are just learning, take it 1 step at a time. Like I asked in the other thread you posted, why do you need a replaceable crossfader if you aren't going to be scratching much? I think you need to research a controller, look at some vids on youtube and jump in and get it. You can hook up 10 controllers to same thing if you wanted, 4trak, midi fighter, s4 or anything else. Controllers are just that, they CONTROL the program so any midi controller is going to work with Traktor, you are only limited to how many buttons on the controller itself to map to.

Stick with the V7s, or get an S4. The 4trak is like a V7 with tiny jogs and really depressing buttons, a major step down in Numark's line. If you absolutely have to get a Traktor controller, the S4 is what you want. It actually does have balanced outputs (assuming you know what those are), and the crossfader isn't going to give up any time soon. It also has timecode inputs, so you can plug tables in when you want to learn how to scratch.

Orrr, you could just stick with the V7s and be done with it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Stick with the V7s, or get an S4. The 4trak is like a V7 with tiny jogs and really depressing buttons, a major step down in Numark's line. If you absolutely have to get a Traktor controller, the S4 is what you want. It actually does have balanced outputs (assuming you know what those are), and the crossfader isn't going to give up any time soon. It also has timecode inputs, so you can plug tables in when you want to learn how to scratch.

Orrr, you could just stick with the V7s and be done with it.
    Yes, I noticed the TRS outputs on the S4. The 4trak doesn't have the nice phat buttons the V7 does?

Here is my gripe:
    I set up the V7s 3 times a week, and the only output on the turntable is an RCA jack that is soldered into a circuit board with a 10 pin connection. Not user replaceable. Cost me $100 to fix when the rca jack stripped out. Not only that, even though the hardware completely allows 4 deck control they never bothered programing it in. Also, in hind-sight I think Traktor is a much better (more customizable) program and it would suit me to learn on that. Also, why do I need vinyl emulators if I don't know how to scratch on vinyl? Can't I just learn how to scratch on jog wheels if all I am going to be doing is using it sparingly and mostly for fun and my main DJ sets are not going to be scratch heavy? I feel like I got left behind with the V7s, and they are good for somebody who likes and is familiar with vinyl. I am neutral on the subject of vinyl.

If I want tractor and 4 deck control I should have the 4trak or the VCI. The S4 just seems kinda cheap to me, and not having a user replaceable crossfader just makes me think they didn't think it through. I have heard many great things about the NS6, and if the 4trak is the NS6 for Traktor it's probably what I want. The reason I am asking you guys is that I figure some of you have experience with these machines. My gripes about the v7 will probably make some stay away, and others will not care, it will help them make their decision. I want to hear from those who have used the 4-trak and those who have used the VCI 400 and see which way to go, because I am selling my V7s and buying a new setup soon. In fact the 4trak would be on the way if I hadn't paused to talk with you all and hadn't spent 12 of the last 24 hours pouring over pictures, websites and videos.

If youre stripping out RCA jacks, being "user replaceable" isn't going to help you. You're doing something wrong.

The NS6/4trak buttons feel like ass next to the V7's, hard plastic with no throw.

The S4 is one of the most well thought out Traktor controllers on the market. It was designed and built by NI. Staring at pictures of it doesn't give you an accurate reference for that. I really don't understand the market for the 4trak while the S4 exists. Metal case aside, virtually every control on the thing feels terrible (plastic stems and scratchy faders), definitely a league below the S series.

Youre not going to be doing any meaningful scratching on a tiny jogwheel.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a douche but it seems like you are kind of all over the place. You have a lot of wants and demands but you are just learning, take it 1 step at a time. Like I asked in the other thread you posted, why do you need a replaceable crossfader if you aren't going to be scratching much? I think you need to research a controller, look at some vids on youtube and jump in and get it. You can hook up 10 controllers to same thing if you wanted, 4trak, midi fighter, s4 or anything else. Controllers are just that, they CONTROL the program so any midi controller is going to work with Traktor, you are only limited to how many buttons on the controller itself to map to.
    Perhaps there is a feature on the VCI 400 that makes it work infinitely better with traktor and the MIDI fighter over the numark that may be lacking the foresight to integrate with this or that controller via flexibility of features. I found this forum to be way more helpful when I was starting out than any other even though my questions initially were not about digital djing. I trust you guys to have my back when making this decision. Had I asked you guys before I bought my v7s last year it would have helped me avoid a decision I regret.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast