Backup controller? What do you guys recommend?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Backup controller? What do you guys recommend?

So it's pretty simple. I absolutely adore having my 1200's and Serato. I really like the setup, it works great for me. It's what I continue to use in the club environment, and most of the time at home.

Honest fact is though? Sometimes I find myself wanting to play without prior planning to load up my equipment. I have NO qualms about loading my 1200's into my car and bringing them out when I know there is something going on. If I know I'm going to need them for an event, or an afterparty. Or a house party. Or just about anything with a little prior notice.

But there are times just chilling with friends when it'd be nice to have something small and portable. A few times it would have been delightful to be able to spin, but there was a lack of equipment. And I can't be expected to pack up the turntables every time for "just in case" really.

I'm looking to spend $500 or less, and probably will be doing a multi-payment plan through zzsounds.com or the like. I basically just want it as a backup, but I think I'll probably get some good use out of it when I'm not at a place where equipment is readily available.

Right now I'm torn between looking at the Novation Twitch, Xone DX, or the VCI-300.

What do you guys recommend? I want something that is ITCH compliant. Don't plan on buying/using Traktor, VDJ, anything else. I like Serato products, it's what I'm comfortable with and what my current playlists are based out of. I like the fact that Itch and SSL use the same lists. (Although honestly most of my playlists are smart playlists in itunes rather than crates).

I really liked the idea of the Xone DX, and remember them going on sale awhile back, but can't seem to find anything of the sort anymore.

Thoughts and suggestions? Twitch, Xone DX, and VCI-300 are the three that look to be in my budget range. Thoughts and personal preferences from what you have used?
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I really wanted a VCI-300, still do, but didn't want to spend that much on something I would use once in awhile. I ended up getting a Numark MixTrack Pro and use it with Serato Intro. I'm a SSL user and Intro is very very basic, but i like it.

If you're really set on the three you mention then I would go with the VCI.

if you like serato, get an ns6.

I have been using Faderfox DJ2 & DX2 since 2004-2005. They still work and look like new... toured all over Europe played hundreds and hundreds of hours in clubs.. without fault

Now I have a 1.4 firmware VCi 100 as the daddy. (to play U.K Garage... as I need to backspin and touchy touchy with the jog wheel and scratch and mash up U.K stylie)

Sometimes not enough space in the booth...... so its the faderfoxes still i use.......... thats the way it is in clubland.

Promoters/Clubs are only geared up for vinyl or c.d performers.
    Last edited by Tommi Bass; 07-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Tech Mentor

Why not a pair of X1's/F1's or A&H K2's? You could use them as stand alone, very portable all-in-one controllers, and add on to your existing setup for when you want to use your mixer/tables.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'm looking to spend $500 or less
    Right now I'm torn between looking at the Novation Twitch, Xone DX, or the VCI-300.
    For that price new the Twitch is the only one fitting the bill and a very cool piece of kit

The DX was going out refurb in places a while back for $500-600 but seems to have gone back to the $1000+ price point again. The DX is a BRILLIANT unit for itch. Very tasty layout and even tastier mixer and sound card, if you manage to find a bargain it'd be my first choice.

The 20 channel sound card alone is almost worth buying it for.

The Kicker with the VCI300 is lack of decently laid out FX area, and a translator for regular midi mode makes it kinda pain in the ass for using it with anything but itch - of course if you NEED Jogwheels its really the only option apart from the for mentioned Mixtrack pro / Serato Intro

So in MY preference order if I was buying it.

1. XoneX - if you manage a bargain price somewhere, the A&H build is just WOW and workflow very very nice.
    2. Twitch - as a throw in the backpack and go anywhere with minimum fuss.
    3. Vestax VCI300 - just seems, well, really lacking at this stage in everything apart from Jogwheels. External FX add-on thingy anyone -- say wha!

As a pure party and fun tool to pull out of a backpack with one hand (the DX weighs a ton) though and at the price, I'm leaning towards Twitch for your needs. Im just a sucker for equipment thats built better than a Sherman tank, and weighs almost as much hehe.

i had the same issue and ended up getting an S2 and X1 for house parties and stuff.

In your case since you want to stay with serato, a twitch or vci-300 seems to me to be the best solution.

Tech Guru

I'm a timecode and vinyl DJ but love my Twitch. Works great as a Serato controller and if you're willing to put the time in custom mapping it can be awesome as a Traktor controller too. Light, cheap, portable and fun.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

I would get a twitch as, if serato open up the software you could probably use the twitch as a mixer with all it's goodies and timecodes for transport, if you don't scratch "which I don't think you do" it would be a much more fun setup for hardstyle than the TTM-56 and techs which is really a turntablist setup.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

i have a vci100 and it´s also my backup since it lever let me down in the past few years. one word to descibe it: TANK!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast