My story!!! (long but inspirational)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My story!!! (long but inspirational)

EDIT: Set is up just click on the last page.... ENJOY!!

Me:
    I have been a music man all my life. Being that Im only 21, I can easily say that music has had more than an impact on my life. EDM has always been my main squeeze, but I still listen to rap, top 40, country, blue grass, oldies, etc. I started Djing about 2 years ago (always using my buddies equipment because i didnt have my own). I now own a Numark IDJ3, which can be purchased at any Electronic retailer such as best buy, guitar center, etc. This controller is a great starter/advanced controller. I have djed 1 gig so far and that was a house party (which went great!).

Always having hope:
    About 2 years ago I came up with an idea called Trancelvania. This would be a costume halloween rave located in southern illinois. Of course, it never happened due to lack of promotion, money, time, etc. Recently on the other hand, I decided to take that leap. EDM does not have a huge scene around here. There are only 2 (mixing) djs in my local 30 mile radius that I personally know. If that doesnt give you a mental image I live between cornfields, cows, and horses in a town of 550 people. So closeminded country folk are the mainstream around here.

Grabbin the bull by the horns:
    About 2 months ago, i decided im going to actually do this. I called a local community center rented out a banquet room. Went and spoke to the local music store owner/wedding dj and gigged him for the night for his PA, and started promoting. I made a promo flyer in MS Paint the best i could (im not good with photoshop.). Went to Office Max and printed 200 copies, that same day i started promoting.
    Pic of the promo flyer:

The more i promoted the more i received positive feedback from strangers and friends alike. Everyone who was interested in me presenting my own event that i payed out of pocket for was willing to help with anything as much as possible. A very nice girl made 2 official flyers for the event
    Pic of the 1st official flyer:

Pic of the 2nd official flyer:

And now the night is finally here after much anticipation wether 150 people show up or just 15 people show up, Im proud of myself and what ive already accomplished through word of mouth, flyer, and online advertising.

Moral:
    Dont give up on anything you put your mind to. If you would have told someone 2 years ago that an EDM festival would be going on in Hoyleton illinois, they would have either laughed or said where the hell is that and look what ive done just from persistance and hope.

PS:
    Will post pictures of the event and a live recording of my set on here so you guys can see the turn out.... WISH ME LUCK MOTHA FUCKAS!!!!!!!!!!!

27wonka
    Last edited by Dwonka27; 07-30-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Best of luck man i have my first gig in about 15 hours its a 5 hour gig its just a house party,nothin big but it will be cool

good luck Homes!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

All the best.............

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Good luck and don't get drunk.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Good luck man! hope it goes well!
    Hittin' Switches For The Bitches

Tech Guru

Good luck!

You did it the right way--you went for it.

I'll link this when people come asking how they should get started

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    Good luck!

You did it the right way--you went for it.

I'll link this when people come asking how they should get started
    Thanks man id be honored to help up and coming djs in a 'no scene' area. I still get ridiculed by people who are all about Johhny Cash and Rodney Carrington (not saying that they are not good) but the people around here are the first to shoot you down for doing something different such as this. So i said screw that, im doing it anyways by myself and my friend (Dj Funke [the only other mixing dj i personally now in my local area{aka the guy who honestly taught me pretty much everything i needed to start djing}]). Lets this be an inspiration to those who fear being different in any circumstance and stand your ground. Do what you love and let no opinion get in your way!!!!

27wonka

awesome my first gig was an 20 minutes long(cops shut it down) in the park using nothing but a laptop and a novation 25 key midicontroller. my first real gig was an hour long at the Daily Grind where my residency is right now enjoy your first gig

Yeah man, go for it.
    Promoting is where the money is at not dj'ing.
    You will soon see this.

And whoever the girl is who did the flyers, hire her...

Oh sorry but it's whether not weather or wether - weather is the current atmospheric conditions, and wether is a castrated ram or billy goat.
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast