I finally gave in...(production)

Default I finally gave in...(production)

I resisted for a long time, but I finally caught the bug to try producing my own music. A friend loaned me his copy of Live 7, and now I'm starting to toy around with some things.

What I'm wondering is if anyone could recommend some good synth/FX plugins for live. I've heard some good things about predator, but other than that I'm clueless. I'm looking for something to produce some good electro lead sounds.

Any tips?

For some seriously nice drums: http://www.d16.pl/
    I've got the Nepheton and Drumazon, and they kick ass.

For some nice acid basses check out d16 again for a nice 303.
    Arturia do some very cool synths: http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products.html
    I use the arp2600, cs80 and moog modular and can recommend them all.

http://www.korg.co.uk/products/softw.../sc_legacy.asp
    is another one I use alot of (almost every track I do has this in)

I also like the Novation V-station and BassStation for adding bits to tracks as well, not amazing on their own but good for layering up tracks.

Tech Mentor

if you want some really powerful freeware stuff try KVR audio forums, all kinds of synths and FX that are really nice.

automat from alphakanal
    crystal from green oak software
    TAL(togu audio line) has free synths and FX that just rock

hit KVR & dontcrack.com

Banned

To be honest I really like what Ableton comes with. The problem with going through VST after VST is you're going to spend more time trying to learn your way around it and just end up with a generic sound instead of sticking with one or two and learning how to get the most out of them.

Best example of this would be Eric Prydz. He's had the same basic setup since 04/05 I think, he's still running Logic on a PC and they stopped making it for PC around version 5 I think. He just knows how to work it and when he gets a sound in his head he can have it out in an instant.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    To be honest I really like what Ableton comes with. The problem with going through VST after VST is you're going to spend more time trying to learn your way around it and just end up with a generic sound instead of sticking with one or two and learning how to get the most out of them.

Best example of this would be Eric Prydz. He's had the same basic setup since 04/05 I think, he's still running Logic on a PC and they stopped making it for PC around version 5 I think. He just knows how to work it and when he gets a sound in his head he can have it out in an instant.

this is true with experience, but as a novice or beginner its a good idea to try out a lot of things and decide what you really want to learn about, you cant really choose something if you dont understand what your choosing.

this is why its best not to buy anything right away but to try all the available freewares to gain an understanding of what different things are, analog modeled, subtractive synthesis, additive synthesis, FM, grainular etc...

then you can best decide what gives you the sound and feel you want and start dedicating your time with in depth learning about things that are actually going to be useful.

you need to try things before you know if you like them or not.

live has a lot, but no where near everything, I actually dont use lives instruments at all as they arent really all that great, their good, but not really great to me & my ears.

Native Instruments MASSIVE is a good alrounder for a variety of styles. That and ABSYNTH are all you need
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Yeah man, you can go SOOO many routes. Ive been producing music for 2 years now and stared with Reason, (i know not relevant in your case) and also tried all kinds of different DAWS.

But there is great stuff from NI and also Rob Papen. The biggest piece of advice i read is to shop around, and try to figure out what music you are trying to compose for yourself. Download demos, read other forms, talk to your friends on topics of music etc. There is SOO much information out there, you just gotta dig in there and start reading!

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

vstplanet.com dontcrack.com

just the post I was looking for, me and my friend who happens to own his own studio started work on an EP last week, first track is nearly finished did that on Saturday but i feel we are lacking certain sounds mainly bass and keyboard, the EP is going to be mainly deep house, my question is along the same lines the KVR audio forums you have mentioned, will the synths and FX work along side Logic 8 and Cubase? as this is what we are using..