Do you think........ ? (Ean Golden plz answer) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pete Tong was dj'ing in the 70s..

He isn't a dj because of radio 1 - he's on Radio 1 because he's a dj.

Agree about Annie Mac though.
    SC | MC

radio dj's get exclusives, you probably don't... so you either need to get into a type of role where you can launch a producers career, this could mean a radio station, club night or blog and get exclusives to play in sets before releasing them to the world through your media outlet or you need to be a producer... The problem with the internet is as soon as something is released then everyone has it, so you need to produce to have anything valuable to market yourself with on any type of club/festival circuit.

James Zabiela was Sasha's friend I have one of his first mixes for groovetech and absolutely love it as it is amazing prog house and breaks which there is a real sense of a journey listening to it. But his offering to djing was his video's on the pioneer efx1000 using it for things that most wouldn't even think of. That's what shined the spotlight on him, his taste in music kept him there.

The only other dj's I can think of are Andy C, who is a terrible producer but he is the owner of RAM Records the biggest label in Drum n Bass and they don't call him the "executioner" for nothing. Chris Liberator he is a techno god and every set I have seen was amazing, he ran a club in London and was big in the underground warehouse scene with his brother. Carl Cox has been doing it for years and a techno pioneer with a knack for good party vibes, but I heard of him because of his famous three deck mixes... The thing every strict dj has in common is they all gave something to the scene through skill or opportunity, what can you give?
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dwonka27 View Post
    As i said in my first post i specifically asked him to answer my question because he has so much background in the EDM music industry for reasons like u stated DJTT forums, Midifighter, Djing, Tutorials, Interviews with worldwide superstar Djs etc.

And for the record the Johnny Cash reference was pretty spot on imo...

27wonka

Ps: i would also feel super cool if he'd answer my questions!!
    There are also members with a really good understanding of how the industry works (you'd be surprised).

Do you think you have to be a producer to make it as a big dj?
    Yes. 99% yes. Producers are the ones that make the tracks DJs play out. It was true that being a good DJ back int he day was a way to make it, but not these days. With the commercialization of EDM over the past couple of years and the growth of social media, the fan base has shifted from wanting to listen to a good mixtape to wanting to listen to a good song on the radio (just a general statement). The over-saturation of DJs nowadays (i.e. "LISTEN TO MY MIX BRO!") has made them less valuable overall (no offense to anyone).

The other thing is that producers are more recognized now than before. Skrillex winning grammys shows this.

Here is a really good blog post on the matter. Summed up, it explains what Skrillex winning grammys wins to the industry (comparing it to, among other things, how hip-hop/RnB singers would always get the recognition and the producers of the track would be largely ignored, etc.)

Now, let's talk about the other 1% (which may even be less for that matter).

One thing that must be understood is what you consider "making it big". Does that mean getting to the point that you can live off of DJing alone (not SUPER rich by any means, just being able to live off tat as your sole income)? Or being a top tier name (along the recognized acts such as Avicii, Tiesto, Skrillex, Porter Robinson, etc)?

I know many DJs that make a stable living DJing around town. And that's doable. But there are countless factors that determine if you can make it or not (a big one being connections). Also, people must understand that every single scene is different. Even if two towns/cities are 30 minutes apart, they are different int he way the scene is structured.

Now, if you mean big-name famous, that basically revolves around connections as well. I mean, you can be a good DJ, but it is far-less recognized compared to the past and, as Maven already stated, a lot of the good DJs from before are producing now. At most, good DJs get booked as opening support for tours or festivals. But again, that's mainly through connections.

Do you think this makes it so much harder for the regular Dj (non producer) to get out there?
    I already answered this in my previous answer above. But in a nutshell, yes.

How does one try and make there break through in such a segregated scene such as what the EDM scene is becoming today?
    Best way is being a good producer and having good connections.

**As you said in a previous article you wrote about All age rockstar of EDM That we are the future of the EDM world. If thats the case, how the hell do we continue something that we arent allowed to be a part of due to lack of "said expectation"?[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by GPS; 07-30-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

There was a nice article about this on DigitalDjTips where they stated nowadays it's not mainly about skills. The people being offered a DJ slot are mainly people that have a huge community (Facebook, Twitter, local...) or people that have great own music productions.
    The complete article is here: http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2012/07...e-for-mortals/
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

This is a couple months old but i put this up a long time ago rereading over the article i thought there was some very eligible information for those curious!!

Tech Wizard

Try starting out producing on a really small scale (bootlegs and remixes) which will get you farther along than just DJing alone. I've found that when trying to get gigs it helps a lot to show stuff that you can really say is yours. Plus, a 3 minute remix is a lot easier to listen to than a 30 minute mix, which might help promoters get to know your style more, even if it doesn't really show your DJing skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    And no offense to you or Ean, but why are you asking him specifically? Do you consider Ean famous for DJ'ing? I personally don't. Now here me out - I have never seen Ean live, but from what I have seen online he is an awesome DJ, It just isn't what got him famous. It is how he started out, but what got him to where he is today is a combination of the DJTT forums, and the Midi Fighter. There are probably a lot of DJ's on here that are just as skilled, and just as well known for actually DJ'ing. Ean would probably tell you that the way to get famous is to create something that hasn't been created yet. No matter if it is a new song or a new controller.
    Emery is correct on this. I have been "djing" for 16 years and been very successful at it. The first 8 years were spent becoming the best dj I could be (with no focus on production) and while it afforded me a very good lifestyle and I was very successful in american markets - being a great dj never took me abroad or made me "famous".

Inventing controllers, making great videos and building a popular website did much more to increase my fame (which was never then intention, and came as a surprise) than dedicating years to my dj craft.

So to answer the core question (which is something we talked about a LOT on the CNTRL tour)

• You need to create some sort of calling card (music, a site, a performance) that will create recognition
    • Then being a great djing will bring the people back time and time again..

so in my mind you need both and production happens to be the most well worn path to success. good question!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by EanGolden View Post
    Just made dwonka27's day. 'Grats!

It seems to me this is a popular question! Although there are somethings that need to be taken into consideration.

1. Djs who produce make it big because of their production skills. They are PRODUCERS. Dj'ing happens to go hand in hand with producing because it is the way to showcase your tunes. Think about it this way. When a rock band makes a song, they perform it live at a show right? Well it is the same exact thing for these producers but because it is virtually impossible to recreate the song live, the producers dj in order to showcase their songs.

2. You can become a dj without being a producer. The industry does have high standards now but if you are a phenomenal dj you will get recognized. Just look at how pioneer picked up Braindead to do a video for the new ddj sx. Also dj tech tools own Ean Golden and his videos/collaborations with Native Instruments. Being a dj without becoming a producer is possible!

3. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

Thanks and please check me out on FB www.facebook.com/djchrisastro and youtube at www.youtube.com/djchrisastro ... Hope this helped!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Carl Cox has been doing it for years, but I heard of him because of his famous three deck mixes
    THREE decks - God how times have changed

Can just imagine a complete Newbie get zapped back 20 years questioning everything...

"why isn't he using the loop, remix decks, effects, EQ, filters ... Are you serious - there's not even Channel EQ's"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast