Do you think........ ? (Ean Golden plz answer)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Do you think........ ? (Ean Golden plz answer)

This is something I have always wondered and knowing that this is the closest i could probably get to actually speaking to someone with so much background in the EDM Scene i figure i might as well ask, because i feel that now since producers/djs are the big think Skrillex, Afro, Deadmau5, Porter Robinson, Wolfgagner, knife party, figure, etc. all are huge producer/djs. If im not mistake djs way back when, just simply played vinyls and music for that matter and didnt produce.

Do you think you have to be a producer to make it as a big dj?

Do you think this makes it so much harder for the regular Dj (non producer) to get out there?

How does one try and make there break through in such a segregated scene such as what the EDM scene is becoming today?

**As you said in a previous article you wrote about All age rockstar of EDM That we are the future of the EDM world. If thats the case, how the hell do we continue something that we arent allowed to be a part of due to lack of "said expectation"?

Looking for professional Opinions, but personal opinions are of course welcome as always..

I would Email you Ean but i wouldnt know how to contact u via email (what email address).
    (If you do answer this it would be ultimately appreciated!!!!)

27wonka
    Last edited by Dwonka27; 07-29-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Pretty much yes. You have to be a producer to make it as a big DJ. That is the most common way nowadays.

Or... You can be a great DJ like A-trak, win DMC etc, even A-trak produces nowadays.

I guess...lol

It has been this way for quite some time, just about as long as I can remember. While there are DJs that just DJ, the largest names with the international following have also been producers, even back in the days when they were just playing vinyl. The reason I liked attending these events, they have dubplate upon top dubplate of unreleased tunes and remixes from their collection and the upper echelon of the music scene. Today I hear it is different and they spray cake out of hoses or something while crowd surfing with a CD playing the album release.

Ok correct me if I am wrong here but wouldn't a club DJ be considered the "Cover band" that gets hired to rock parties and fill out clubs, when the Live DJ/Producer would be considered the "Rockstar band" famous for creating hit tracks?

The way I see it is these DJ's back in the day were famous for being DJ's.. You only knew and liked them because you saw them mixing someone else's tracks in a club. Today it is the exact the same thing. You can be a famous DJ, but you will only be known in the Club scene. People wouldn't know you for your music, because your music is technically someone else's music.

Now that EDM is so popular, there is a better chance for an EDM producer to make it big because people are looking for the next big EDM track to put on their Ipod. The DJ, however, isn't really creating anything to show for outside of the club (besides remixes and whatnot)

Think of it this way (and I am using a completely random example for this) - Imagine if Johnny Cash never wrote his own music, but just covered other peoples songs. He may have had a different sound, but it's not a new song, so most people wouldn't be too interested. He would get booked for gig's because he is such a good musician, but that is the furthest he would be able to go. Because he did write and "produce" his own music, he is famous for it and could tour all over the world because people wanted to hear HIM play HIS songs.

In short, and pardon my rant, I think it's pretty clear that to make it to superstar status in the EDM scene (and any music/art scene) you need to create something that is truly yours, that people know is you when they hear it. I personally am OK with being a DJ and rocking parties and just being known locally as a good DJ. It wont get me on the cover of Rolling Stone, but I have fun. But now look at Avicii, hes huge, and not for DJ'ing, but literally for making one track that every other DJ in the scene played over and over.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Those guys you said don't actually dj, they get hired to play their music, much like a band or hip-hop artist has a concert. A dj is hired to put together music, whether he made it or not. Just plain jane djs rarely get famous because of this, with the exception of several in the dj world but if you asked the average joe who they were, they wouldn't know. It's just the way it works.

The best way to get know by the crowd is by creating awesome remixes. With remixes you can give your "signature" to a certain song and the crowd knows who is standing behind the dj decks. A good method to do this is by using some producing programs like ableton and reason for example. When you know how to use this programs the step to make your own music isn't far away anymore. Producing is just a big advantage in the EDM scene today

And no offense to you or Ean, but why are you asking him specifically? Do you consider Ean famous for DJ'ing? I personally don't. Now here me out - I have never seen Ean live, but from what I have seen online he is an awesome DJ, It just isn't what got him famous. It is how he started out, but what got him to where he is today is a combination of the DJTT forums, and the Midi Fighter. There are probably a lot of DJ's on here that are just as skilled, and just as well known for actually DJ'ing. Ean would probably tell you that the way to get famous is to create something that hasn't been created yet. No matter if it is a new song or a new controller.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by VincentCools View Post
    The best way to get know by the crowd is by creating awesome remixes. With remixes you can give your "signature" to a certain song and the crowd knows who is standing behind the dj decks. A good method to do this is by using some producing programs like ableton and reason for example. When you know how to use this programs the step to make your own music isn't far away anymore. Producing is just a big advantage in the EDM scene today
    But wouldn't creating remixes (especially in Ableton/Reason) label you as a producer at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    And no offense to you or Ean, but why are you asking him specifically? Do you consider Ean famous for DJ'ing? I personally don't. Now here me out - I have never seen Ean live, but from what I have seen online he is an awesome DJ, It just isn't what got him famous. It is how he started out, but what got him to where he is today is a combination of the DJTT forums, and the Midi Fighter. There are probably a lot of DJ's on here that are just as skilled, and just as well known for actually DJ'ing. Ean would probably tell you that the way to get famous is to create something that hasn't been created yet. No matter if it is a new song or a new controller.
    As i said in my first post i specifically asked him to answer my question because he has so much background in the EDM music industry for reasons like u stated DJTT forums, Midifighter, Djing, Tutorials, Interviews with worldwide superstar Djs etc.

And for the record the Johnny Cash reference was pretty spot on imo...

27wonka

Ps: i would also feel super cool if he'd answer my questions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    But wouldn't creating remixes (especially in Ableton/Reason) label you as a producer at that point?
    1+

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast