Need some help identifying\describing\digging for a musical style
    Tech Wizard

Default Need some help identifying\describing\digging for a musical style

Morning all, there's a rhythmic "style" that's occasionally employed in House\Tech-House\Techno that I've never heard a description of, can't seem to find any form of definition of, and can't seem to find a decent indicator of where to find more music that contains it. And like many things that seem to be just out of reach I freaking love it.

For lack of a better way of putting it, I'd say that it's sort of "Half-Beat" House (terrible descriptor, I know), maybe 2-4 House?

So where a typical house beat has your steady 4-4 "Whump Whump Whump Whump Whump Whump Whump Whump"
    This would have more of a
    "Whuump.........Whuump.........Whuump........Whuum p"

It's often coupled with kind of a "spin up, spin down" nature to the beats as well, so the first beat spins up and the second beat spins down.

At the moment off the top of my head I can definitively name only one track with this "time-signature". The Bingo Players Remix of Oliver Twizt's remix(remake?) of "You're Not Alone".

You hear how the beat is like a "Vrrrruuuump......Vrrrrrmmmmmm........Vrrrrrruuuuu u mp......Vrrrrrmmmm", almost reminiscent of two step or something, has a really "back & forth" feel to it.

What the hell do you call that, and more importantly, how would I go about seeking moar? Whenever I hear it in a mix it clicks with me like crazy.

Thanks in advance, I realize this is an offbeat question

Tech Mentor

I think what you're looking for is filed under jackin' house.

Tech Wizard

From what I know there isn't a genre for that specific sound, I'd say the track you choose falls into the progressive house genre rather than Techno or tech house though, I get where your coming from though, you have DnB then you have all of the sub genres, jungle, liquid, jump-up etc but i feel as though even when sub genres are given to tracks when your looking\listening that closly its personal preferance, and you'll more than likly find that sound in more the one genre or sub-genre...
    Listen to more tracks from that artist, look for producers that artist listens to, when you buy his music look at other purchases people made at the same time. Jackin house to me is more upbeat, from what i know jackin house is more like fidget house lol there's to many names\genres to keep up with, don't worry about genres if you can help it, if you like a track or sound try to follow it and fit it in your sets, thats just my opinion though I aint no pro lol

I just tag tracks like this as bouncy, and then whatever genre they belong to, when I label them in iTunes
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    I think what you're looking for is filed under jackin' house.
    I think that you're right that a lot of it is considered Jackin, but a lot of it is like straight up Old School Detroit Techno too.

It's funny your post yesterday sent me off on a tangent that ultimately resulted in me dropping ~ $30 at TraxSource scouring the Jackin genre. I have seriously slept on where they've been taking that sound. I freaking love the Tech\Funk tip that I hear coming up now with guys like Phunk Investigation & PHNTM, and this stuff just floats along with that.

Thanks man, I've needed some freshness in my tunes, and I've been digging in circles.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbles View Post
    From what I know there isn't a genre for that specific sound, I'd say the track you choose falls into the progressive house genre rather than Techno or tech house though, I get where your coming from though, you have DnB then you have all of the sub genres, jungle, liquid, jump-up etc but i feel as though even when sub genres are given to tracks when your looking\listening that closly its personal preferance, and you'll more than likly find that sound in more the one genre or sub-genre...
    Listen to more tracks from that artist, look for producers that artist listens to, when you buy his music look at other purchases people made at the same time. Jackin house to me is more upbeat, from what i know jackin house is more like fidget house lol there's to many names\genres to keep up with, don't worry about genres if you can help it, if you like a track or sound try to follow it and fit it in your sets, thats just my opinion though I aint no pro lol
    I think what I'm finding is that you're right, there probably isn't a specific genre or description for the style I'm trying (poorly) to describe. I think you're right that the track I linked is pretty proggy (albeit, it's a few years old so ~2k8-9 prog), but I know I've heard a lot of tracks that would probably be considered Prog\Tech\Deep\Soulful\Jackin, and just straight Techno that have "that" beat\structure.

It's funny, I've always wondered why people muddied up House with sooooo many genres, I either dig a tune or I don't. I dig at least one tune in every freaking Electronic genre I've ever heard. But after scouring for specific sounds lately, I can see why people feel the need for them.

I'm bad about finding some "truth" in a certain sound\style\beat, obsessively pursuing it, and then ultimately phunking it up for myself by pounding the awesome right out of it, obsessively overdigging\overplaying it trying to "understand" it.

+1 bingo players

Alot of the big artists on spinrec are producing stuff like this when I was raiding their channel for new stuff the other day I found alot of this progressive electro house stuff. I really don't think it has its own genre rather just a style of producing.

Sorry if im not much of a help :P