Jog Wheels in Bome's
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jog Wheels in Bome's

So I'm working on fixing the jog wheel problem (soon to be knob problem) in Bome's on the NUVJ so I can use it in Traktor along side 2 XSP's. I Just want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction this is what I'm working with... (Keep in mind I really have no idea what I'm doing other than what I could grasp from the help section in Bome's and a few forums i found online.)

Sorry cant read anything on those Bomes pictures, please repost using a picture hosting site. If you could also please explain exactly what the problem is i would be more than happy to help nudge you in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Sorry cant read anything on those Bomes pictures, please repost using a picture hosting site. If you could also please explain exactly what the problem is i would be more than happy to help nudge you in the right direction
    http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/4770/picture3ur4.png

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/2774/picture1cn6.png

So basically the wheel when spun slow/normal speed forward it sends out a signal of 1 and 127 when spun backward however if you spin it at full speed (I'm talking really let the it rip) you get a few other signals but it's real erratic typically numbers lower than 25. In Bome's I get an input of "b0 11 01" so does that mean I need to set the out put value to "b0 11 01 b0 11 02 b0 11 03" ect.? Thanks for your help.

Post a midi log of spinning the deck forwards, then another of spinning the jog backwards.

You've described your fix, but you haven't described what the original problem was, so I'm a bit stuck.

Are you trying to turn a normal CC into a jogwheel message? Jogwheels send out streams of small values that are "biased" by 64 - that means they are signed values with 64 added to them (64 means no change, 65 is +1, 67 is +3, 63 is -1, 62 is -2, etc). You need to find out the difference between the previous value you read from the CC and it's current value and send that difference as a biased-64 result. You do this by recording the previous value of the CC in a global variable and subtracting it from the current value.

Start by taking as input:

b0 11 pp

This reacts to CC 11 on channel 1, and records it's value into the local variable "pp". Let's use "ga" as the global variable and "qq" as a local temporary:

pp = pp + 64
    qq = pp - ga
    ga = pp
    exit and send result

And your output rule would be (with passthrough disabled):

b0 11 qq

Why "pp - ga" and not "ga - pp"? Because when you are generating signed direction vectors, the calculation is always "TO - FROM", a handy rule of thumb that works in 3D graphics and it also works on the 1D number line!

That may not be what you wanted to do, but I thought I'd throw the technique out there. We need more discussion of Bome's techniques on DJTT, and I'm happy to help anyone with MIDI remapping questions. Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    You've described your fix, but you haven't described what the original problem was, so I'm a bit stuck.
    Sorry a little groggy this morning... The problem is I only get the 2 outputs from the wheel when I spin it. So when I'm trying to map it to be able to scroll through my tracks (and hopefully scratch) it just snaps from start to finish just by nudging the wheel. (i get the same problem with the knobs also which I'll be needing to fix.) So from what I've gathered I need to enter a CC value so it get the +1+2+3 right?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFrick View Post
    The problem is I only get the 2 outputs from the wheel when I spin it. So when I'm trying to map it to be able to scroll through my tracks (and hopefully scratch) it just snaps from start to finish just by nudging the wheel. (i get the same problem with the knobs also which I'll be needing to fix.)
    Your next job is to produce a dump of what midi messages the wheel makes when you turn it left and right. You say you "only get two outputs" - you mean it only sends two messages when you turn it? Are they sent repeatedly, or just once per motion? What are these messages?

Maybe you're mistakenly reading the touch sensor on the wheel and getting key-down/key-up messages instead of the rotary encoder values? Are the two values "b0 11 7f" and "b0 11 00"? If so, what's happening is that Traktor is interpreting this value as "+64" and racing through the track at high speed. You need to get the wheel to send lots of messages with small values around the 64 +/- 5 area - messages like "b0 11 42" and "b0 11 3e"

You're looking to see a stream of values coming out of the the controller when you move the wheel, each one a "b0 11 qq" message, each "qq" being different from the last.

More detail please!

Midi logs are even better !

I'll will get you guys a Midi log A.S.A.P. tonight. For the time being i can tell you that I get a repeat "b0 11 00" when spun forward and a repeat "b0 11 7f" when spun in reverse. same message just over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Midi logs are even better !
    hopefully you guys can work with this I'm still really struggling with all this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast