Anyone have experience with Alto and Yorkville subwoofers?

Default Anyone have experience with Alto and Yorkville subwoofers?

Went to guitar center today with a friend to listen to speakers and I fell in love with the Alto ts112a http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...-2-way-speaker active 12's. They wanted $275, but I'm going to try and get them for $250.

They had a set of 400w rms passive Alto 18's that they wanted $300 for each. There were not any other 18's in that price range to compare, but I've been told the yorkvilles are very nice. I forget the exact model of the alto's they had, and I was not able to find the same ones online, so I think they may be obsolete. The ones I keep seeing look way different.

The reason I want passive subs is because they are half the cost and I already have two 450w rms amps and a minidsp processor that I want to use to cover the crossovers and eqing. I noticed that these subs have built in passive crossovers and are meant to be connected to the tops. Would I be ok to bypass those passive crossovers as far as impedance and sound since I'm setting my high and low pass filters with the minidsp?

i've read that cheaper 18's tend to sound boomy and that 15's would be a smaller and better sounding option. Is the lower extension of the 18's worth it for heavy bass music like low dubstep lfo wobbles?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

I was also wondering if bypassing the passive crossovers may allow me to set my high pass filter a few hertz lower and gain some low end extension.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

In terms of build quality and sound quality alone, Yorkville far surpasses Alto.

I'm a huge fan of Yorkville.

I've rented Yorkville speakers for years for my gigs, and just recently became the proud owner of two yorkville powered speakers.

I use 12inch full range yorkville's (550P) and they're plenty "boomy" for me. I sometimes switch on the high pass filter (which is meant to be used in conjunction with subs), just because it can sometimes be a little "boomy" while people are drinking cocktails.

Although being "boomy" is a characteristic of the Yorkville NX55P and NX550P.

Tech Mentor

The Yorkville LS800 series subs have a great reputation for being excellent bang for your buck subs. I've used them a number of times and they are indeed impressively loud for the price.

I myself use a pair of Yorkville USC1's regularly and like them enough... One of the nicest looking subs on the market IMO.