Non synced, non "producer" DJ sets and the human touch - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    On the other hand I guess sync can magnify the problem because it's easier and quicker for newer DJ's to think they're sounding good because it's beat matched. On that same level though it would be just as easy to blame Soundcloud, Youtube and all the other ways that make it extremely easy to get your mediocre mix out there.
    I agree. Plus lots of new DJ's don't train there ears at all and rely on sync or BPM read outs to mix and don't realise that their mix is out. They believe in the computer way too much and don't use the platter or pitch fader to adjust. So many new DJ's especially ones brought up on new Pioneer gear just match the BPM's and hit play on the first beat. If their throw is a nit off they just roll with it. One reason why I chose TT's for my first set up was so I could have a collection of vinyl on the side to train my ear and use DVS when I want to play mp3's.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    I feel like the instant gratification of sync and electronic wizardry means that there is a lot more boredom in the DJ booth, which has led to a feeling that the crowd is getting bored, so the DJ feels the need to fuck with something.
    I feel this to a strong degree. I love pulling a routine, it is great to juggle and mash things to oblivion and back, too much of a great thing is bad. Effects be under everything, adding to it, not blatantly beating you up. People should take time to develop mixes and song selection, it is awesome to make a long slow build in energy, and drop it back down again.

One of the reasons I never really appreciated Chicago House/Booty House as much as I could have is that the hyper fast mixing style, much like effect mashing today, never let the groove build. I found tons of songs I liked but when the songs are all mixed out on the next 16th beat, it becomes too jarring, and less fun for me to dance too.

Personally I don't think sync matters between whether it sounds human or good, I think careful attention to phrasing, the way the phrase is brought in either by eq, line fader or crossfader. Most of the talented dj's that I respect could ride the pitch a nudge and hold it closer than I think I can with sync with out notable drift.

Tech Guru

lol wtf I didn't post that. ^

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    lol wtf I didn't post that. ^

Oops grabbed the wrong quote.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    You as a dj listen more intently when you mix on vinyl, on cdj's you listen about half as much as the bpm counter does most of the work, with software you barely listen and instead watch the various displays to tell you what the music is doing.

When you listen more closely your mixing is more subtle and more respectful of the original productions, if you don't listen you can be great with timing but give the eq's no love which is where the focus should be. All IMO from my experience of course... After learning this for myself I built myself a skin with no waves and hidden song views so I am flying blind and have no option but to listen more intently and go with my instincts.

Think less = hear more
    I agree 100%...

I agree with the Initial post & 1st response. I went to see Sebo K not so long ago and was one of the worst gigs I have ever been to. There was not mixing flaws or anything like that, but it was so programmed and there was zero spontaneity in his mix. I feel that is down to laptop watching instead of feeling the tracks. [IM NOT SAYING ALL LAPTOP DJS DO THIS] but its completely different style of DJing. I'm nearly 30 and getting very cranky so maybe that's my problem... I enjoyed my 10 year gig in Dublin's Morgan bar, I enjoy my radio show mixing via our CDJ 900s & two 1210s - so I leave the future to the Kids and there toys and say best of luck and will just enjoy sets from tried & tested DJs that have never let me down before...
    Mygaff Radio - Wednesday Nights 6 - 8pm [GMT] via www.playfmdublin.com

I don't sync I don't beat grid use my ns6 hell hardly look at the screen more then 10secs per song or just at time... Might come from my vinyl background then cdj background and now controller background. I beat match almost entirely manually, I say this since I will glance at bpm read out.

Yes I could beat grid and use sync but that destroys the feeling of joy I get when I let the record go in time and then fine tune with a nudge.... Hell mixing this way for 13 to 14 years doubt I'd change it.

My opioin

Yes vinyl sets sound better
    Cdj sets you can tell when the person is. Beat matching by bp
    Readout only so don't kid yourself cdj djs can be just as bad as sync. Plus cdjs allow allot more then they did 12 years ago

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123