Home Setups and Speaker Placement
    Tech Wizard

Default Home Setups and Speaker Placement

Hows it going eveybody

So I just recently moved house and have gone from having my setup running and practicing in a room roughly 15 feet x 15 feet to an unfinished open basement. I used to have my speakers wallmounted facing me but because of the size of the room I was fairly close to them. Now I have a full basemnt to play with. I have setup everything facing towards the whole of the basement for when I throw parties but I'm kind of struggling to find an ideal spot for my speakers, (1 pair of speakers) I had them about 4 feet behind me at either side against a wall, Im pretty sure i'm getting some delay in sound because of it though, so I moved the speakers to either side of me, one pointing at my right side the other pointing at my left side, this seems to be good but not perticularly Ideal as the sound should be travelling forward towards the basement rather then at me...

Can someone please clarify if there are any rules to good speaker placement for both deliverying sound to the Dj and also the corwd, should I buy another pair of speakers? 1 pair facing me the other facing out? I understand I could fingure out the best placement on my own by trial and error but i'm intrested in others opinions and advice before I start, Cheers

you got it right, best case scenario would be to use a pair as your monitors (facing you and within a couple feets reach) and PA speakers for the rest of you new lounge area for people to enjoy. how much you looking to spend for new speakers and what speakers you got right now?

Tech Wizard

Right now I have a pair of Pioneer S-DJ08, the most i'd like to spead is $1000 but obvs the cheaper the better but I want good quality. so ideally I want say 4 PA speakers for the reast of the basement you reckon? 1 both sides of the the Dj booth facing out and one in each of the far corners facing back towards me and the room? even if I just got 2 PA spesakers for now that might be ok, I could use the S-DJ08 facing out, my bros Mackie speakers as my monitors and purchase 2 PA speakers for the far corners... or would you sujest for best sound to use all the same PA speakers for the rooms sound? 4 PA speakers one in each corner of the room kinda deal? thanks for the reply and info btw

Firstly how are you liking the S-DJ08 im planning on getting those as my studio monitors either those or Dynaudio BM5A's....anyways for your setup you only need 2 PA speakers, i would check out RCF ART series 312A (powered PA speakers) or EV Live X line (ELX112P powered PA Speakers) for nice sound within the 1,000 dollar range, then when you have some extra cash add a matching subwoofer or two, then you will be bumpin' that basement like nobody's business

Tech Wizard

They are SOLID man, you can crank the S-DJ08 right up lol top quality sound imo, I'll probably end up getting the 05 for monitors and turn the 08's around for the room to acopany the PA speaskers. I check out the the Speakers you mentioned above I'm really like the RCF ART SERIES. Should I be leaning towards passive or active speakers? I like to buy from local store as returning items is alot easier that way lol I have done to much searching but my usual store dosn't hold either of the brand you mention, but for a cheaper price I could pickup a pair of WHARFEDALE TITAN 15's, from what I know they seem like a decent speaker which could do the job, do you have any opinion on those?

well as far as passive vs. active, if its a permanent install u can do either or, but active would be an easy way to go, no fuss matching up amps, getting crossover or having to deal with any of that rack mount stuff, active you just plug it in and go. although if it tickles your fancy to get into and geek out on sound equipment passive might be the way to go, but if you want something that just works go active, as far as Wharfedales, they will do the job for sure, wont be as good as the other two i listed above but nonetheless will sound good but not amazing, 15" would be recommended if you weren't planning on going with a sub, if you have a thought about putting a sub in the setup get 12" tops they will be better suited when you get a sub since the sub will handle the lower freq and 12" will do better reproducing the mids and the horn obv the highs

....and depending on the size of your basement 2 PA speakers for the crowd and your 2 monitors for the booth will be optimal, i think if you use 2 monitors and 2 PA speakers or 4 PA speakers for the crowd you might cause more problems that help, but you would have to figure out dispersion patterns architectural layout of the room to gather some info on if there will be dead spots
    Last edited by NoizeuNit; 08-03-2012 at 11:09 AM.