not a happy bunny!! ridiculous repair times!!

Default not a happy bunny!! ridiculous repair times!!

ello guys... i just thought i'd vent my frustration here... i made the switch to serato a few months ago and love it!! however the other night my sl2 interface started playing up, i've noticed that the usb socket is loose causing an unstable connection... brilliant when this happens half way through a set.... anyway not an issue.. i switch to just cd's and finish the night.

i called sennheiser uk today and they have quoted me 4 to 6 weeks repair time minimum!! this is horrendous!!!

has anyone ever taken an sl2 apart to solve a problem like this and how did you have it sorted... privately or through manufacturer??

i'm thinking just get a computer repair shop to sort it rather than wait over a month.

Tech Guru

If it's a loose USB any TV electrical man would hav the skills to do the job...or you could have a go yourself if confident with a solder.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    ello guys... i just thought i'd vent my frustration here... i made the switch to serato a few months ago and love it!! however the other night my sl2 interface started playing up, i've noticed that the usb socket is loose causing an unstable connection... brilliant when this happens half way through a set.... anyway not an issue.. i switch to just cd's and finish the night.

i called sennheiser uk today and they have quoted me 4 to 6 weeks repair time minimum!! this is horrendous!!!

has anyone ever taken an sl2 apart to solve a problem like this and how did you have it sorted... privately or through manufacturer??

i'm thinking just get a computer repair shop to sort it rather than wait over a month.
    Yep it's actually quite easy, but the USB sockets are quite stubborn to remove

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-B-PCB-...#ht_1584wt_989

You'll need a soldering iron, some solder, a solder-sucker and a bit of patience. the operation isn't a delicate one so you don't need to be a electronics ninja to do it...practice on a duff bit of gear.

the whole operation should take about 20 mins .

Tech Mentor

I'd add some desoldering braid and flux to the shopping list if you're gonna DiY.

Alternatively ......
    There maybe something you can pinch or bend back into position to tighten things up again.
    Another option would be to glue the USB connector or cut the connector off and solder a cable into place (and tape down the cable to stop it from stressing the connection when you setup/teardown).

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I'd avoid the glue/tape solution and get it soldered properly.

Tech Guru

SL2's have a 2 year warranty or even a 3 year warranty if you mailed in the warranty card. If you're in the US it's as easy as sending it in to Rane or one of their authorized service centers, out of country you have to go to your local distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    SL2's have a 2 year warranty or even a 3 year warranty if you mailed in the warranty card. If you're in the US it's as easy as sending it in to Rane or one of their authorized service centers, out of country you have to go to your local distributor.
    thats the problem, it needs to be sent back to rane, i spoke to sennheiser today... thats why its 4-6 weeks... I'm going to have it repaired, I've found a local computer repair shop that will charge me £15/£20, i know the connector is only 99p but I'm not in a million years trying it myself... i saved for too long for me and my clumsy hands to be taking it apart , thanks for the advice/links tho guys... appreciated as ever

Tech Guru

I got ya. I didnt make the connection, the whole sennheiser thing threw me off. Best of luck

got it sorted... cost me £5.. yes my warranty is void, however as i was informed i'd always have to wait over a month... therefore if anything major went wrong i'd end up buying another anyway.. i couldnt wait that long