Maschine Mikro or Traktor F1? dilemma
    Tech Convert

Default Maschine Mikro or Traktor F1? dilemma

Hey guys, need a lil help here.
    I'm new to production but the recent price drop has made me look at the maschine mikro. I understand that the mikro can be mapped to traktor pro for sample decks triggering and hot cues (those extra pads will be useful) and I know that it isn't built exactly for that purpose, but that's probably how I'll use it most of the time. I'll probably explore a little bit with the maschine software. Is there any way to feed the audio from the maschine software to traktor pro? so that when I spin live, I can record what I do with the mikro together with my decks.

Traktor f1
    pros:
    integrates with traktor pro fully with remix decks
    able to record through traktor pro

cons:
    slightly more expensive @ $279
    does not work with any other software

Maschine Mikro
    pros:
    price cut to $249
    able to map to traktor pro as a midi controller (mainly for sample decks and hot cues)
    can be used for production

cons:
    not able to record with traktor pro?
    no integration with traktor 2.5

any help would be appreciated thanks!

Actually you can use the full maschine software through traktor ( richie hawtin and most techno djs do) search YouTube for tutorials on setting it up.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

If you want to produce at all go with the maschine. If you can spend a little extra go with the full hardware. Most people who go mikro end up regretting it from what I hear. I just got one myself and its been great and way more useful than an f1 for me.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    If you want to produce at all go with the maschine. If you can spend a little extra go with the full hardware. Most people who go mikro end up regretting it from what I hear. I just got one myself and its been great and way more useful than an f1 for me.
    May I ask what do you use the mikro for? I'm a traktor user and most of the time I'll be integrating the mikro with live sets. I have a feeling the original maschine is going towards the end of its product cycle and something newer is coming that is going to make it obsolete. So I think I'll stick to the mikro

Quote Originally Posted by letenous View Post
    May I ask what do you use the mikro for? I'm a traktor user and most of the time I'll be integrating the mikro with live sets. I have a feeling the original maschine is going towards the end of its product cycle and something newer is coming that is going to make it obsolete. So I think I'll stick to the mikro
    i actually use the maschine for producing only. i will probably end up using it alongside traktor for my dj sets at some point in the future though. mye is right about using it with traktor: richie hawtin and dubfire are 2 of the most notable djs using it within their sets.

if the original maschine becomes obsolete to something newer, then the mikro will become obsolete at the same exact time. they are both made with the same hardware components and are both used in conjunction with the same exact maschine software. the only difference is the mikro is smaller and has less control (and visibility) of the parameters within the software. it's lack of nobs make it impossible to control the effects without using your mouse, which is reason alone to get the full hardware package for $150 more while they are on sale.

newer controller hardware is not going to make either of these pieces become obsolete. the only way that will happen is if usb protocol changes drastically or it goes away entirely. even then i'm sure there will be maschine firmware updates and adapters to keep you running. look at lpt1 printing for example. they don't really make that style of printer any longer but you can still get an lpt to usb adapter and get it working with a little effort. also have a look at all the people still using trigger fingers, old behringer gear, or older versions of traktor. if the workflow is good for you, it's not obsolete.

maschine with its software is a very powerful tool for writing songs and getting ideas down in a quick and simple manner. it's something i have never found in any other combination of these things and it's not going anywhere anytime soon if you ask me and most other people.
    Last edited by squidot; 08-06-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Go for the full Machine. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

The mikro is nice if you don't have a lot of space and aren't that into the whole "mouseless workflow". After years of using an MPC2000, I don't have any desire to go back to 64x256 pixel screens. I'm also running it with Logic so my computer is never far away. One thing though - you don't get nearly the same functionality for remix decks on the mikro as you do on the F1. I've been trying to do a "good enough" mapping for it but it's pretty ghetto. I can't believe NI didn't release a mapping for the other 4x4 pad controller THAT THEY MAKE...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    I can't believe NI didn't release a mapping for the other 4x4 pad controller THAT THEY MAKE...
    Exactly! But I don't think they will ever release any mapping for maschine to traktor cause that'll render the f1 obsolete, won't it?

i just bought the maschine mikro the other day... awesome piece of kit!!

There are 8 x 16 pad banks and almost unlimited knob bank (mind you there is only one knob....) so the midi mapping possibilities are almost endless

and the maschine software itself is really fun and intutive, you almost dont need to touch the computer, but due to mikro's limited buttons, screen, and pots, you do need more work to navigate the menu but it is very doable
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50