Is it possible to be less US centered - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

again, fair,

I did not just bump the thread, I quoted my central statement on what I think the thread should be about. So not about xone love (why the h3ck would anybody call a 4D NOT contrellerism relevant)

I am NOT complaining, just asking, if anybody feels the same, to come up with a decent suggestion to help DJTT.

Quote Originally Posted by EanGolden View Post
    you made good points - and I updated the article a bit. it's worth mentioning that we would love to have more european writers on staff that reflect the perspective of our entire community. if you know of anyone that is great- please send them my way!
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Look at the hardcore/hard style scene, look at the drum & bass scene, look at the dubstep scene, look at the trance scene. The total of these genres is bigger than the controller based genres. All of which are mainlined by CDJs and or TTs.
    Yes, you're totally right. Nowadays, I only think that the Dutch dance scene consists of either EDM/Dirty House etc. on the one side, and techno on the other side. But yeah, I see a LOT of Dubstep DJ's and Hardcore DJ's still using CDJ's and Technics.

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    True, same goes for Laidback Luke.
    AMEN! But he made a statement once, saying that he lost interest in the techno scene because it didn't 'move forward'. I cannot for the sake of it understand that. But hmm, he's succesful right?
    MacBook Pro 13 (Q1 2011) | Adam A5X | Akai APC20 | Alesis QX49 | Behringer BCR2000 | NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by boarderbas View Post
    (why the h3ck would anybody call a 4D NOT contrellerism relevant )
    Being the owner of a xone 1D, I don't think that it fits the mould of a controllersim controller, The jog is terrible the buttons under it are useless, the grid of buttons are too small and have too much travel to be really usefull, The pots and encoders are fantastic bit only 2 absolute knobs per row limits the possibilities, the sliders are good quality but I have never been able to find a good use for them and I map a lot. The 1D imo is built for ableton not dj software. The Mixer part of the 4D is amazing and by far my favourite mixer as it's all the good bits of the 92, but 3 channel eq's which I prefer coming from learning on a djm600.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Oh terrible me. So tempted to start discussing A&H stuff.

[offtopic]I think it depends on your definition of controllerism. I mapped the sample deck volume to the sliders, use the top buttons in different screen modes for different slot functions (load, empty, play/pause), each sample deck set to one channel on the mixer. When using the deck I generally set the mixer channels to full, generating a virtual 8 mixer channels for the eight decks. (Can't wait for a hack to assing the entire grid for sample triggering). My map changes completely when switched to browser mode.
    The jog is not terrible. It is different. Not usable for scratching, but ok for navigating. I agree that it is no comparison for modern, soft button, rgb led feedback devices, but hey, these things (1D,2D,3D) started it all. I'm used to the 4D and it gets my jobs done. I am not a big cue juggler or jogwheel-effector.
    Never felt a true arcade button, but are they so different drom the bottom buttons on a 1D?

Damn I whish I had the time to document my map and publish it...[/offtopic]

my definition of controllerism is "ruining songs with too many effect and/or cuepoints, for the satisfaction of only the user"...

Don't get me wrong, my introduction to midi started with an Mpd24 and the 1D as a suppliment to timecode control... the 1D opened so many possibilities for extra control that I never though possible, but there are many better controllers out there that can take it's place...

My beef with the jog wheels is they don't send a steady reliable midi signal, it is very erratic so not usable for pitch bending, also the drivers for windows for the 1D were terrible, they took half of my laptops resources as soon as it was plugged in. I contacted A&H about the problem and was not offered a viable solution.

Now the 1D is honestly just used as a door stop which it is well suited to as it's big and heavy enough to prevent the wind from blowing my door open when the wind pressure increases from someone opening the front door of my house. /offtopic
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

I started with a 3D. It was just a mixer for nearly a year. Never could get it to work. Part of it is that I had some vague idea of what it should do but no clue yet of it's exect workings. Untill I got a laptop just for music, deleted Vista, installed XP.
    It was ok. Then I updated the firmware, which made it MUCH better. Then ran out of channels on the internal soundcard and my skills improved to a level that I started to be annoyed by the close spacing of the pots. Upgraded to the 4D. While visually similar, it is really at least 3 times better that the 3D. It's too easy to fly through 22 audio channels. Before you know it you use them all. Never had any problems with the jog wheel. Did you select the RIGHT enless encoder mode in traktor? If you get it wrong it behaves erratically.

If I lived near you I'd buy you a doorstop and would trade it for the 1D.
    Last edited by boarderbas; 08-10-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234