The next time you're asked to DJ for free - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

That's really kind of stupid, but have fun watching a regular gig get given away to someone who understand the fundamentals of networking, I'm sure sending a promoter a smug email he won't even finish reading will be totally worth it...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    That's really kind of stupid, but have fun watching a regular gig get given away to someone who understand the fundamentals of networking, I'm sure sending a promoter a smug email he won't even finish reading will be totally worth it...
    Good luck with your regular free gigs bro. Mad network skills.

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Good luck with your regular free gigs bro. Mad network skills.
    Yeah, actually. If you're expecting to get paid, and nobody knows who you are, nobodys going to want to give you a cent, and you dont deserve a cent. Play a few free gigs, meet some people, get some friends, make some promoters feel closer to you, and once you're actually on their side, they'll pay you without any trouble at all.

Going from "some guy that's playing for us" to "one of the people who runs the events," isn't hard at all, and doesnt take much time, assuming you have the slightest amount of people skills. Getting in the door and getting known as a guy who gets things done and doesn't give the promoters trouble is a shit ton more effective than being an ass and demanding resident pay before you even talk to them.

The other solution is to go all out with promoting and managing the event for free, showing them you can run things as an equal, and then after the show, sketch out some plans for a regular gig, and assert yourself in an executive position in that gig, citing all the work you did that night as a sign of good things to go.

Tech Guru

Fair call. I play free gigs for folks I know (and like). But not for people who send me a generic "great opportunity" blanket email. I also won't play for free twice, thats just taking advantage.

+1
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

your sense of humour is joining us later then?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    your sense of humour is joining us later then?
    +1

Yeah, actually. If you're expecting to get paid, and nobody knows who you are, nobodys going to want to give you a cent, and you dont deserve a cent. Play a few free gigs, meet some people, get some friends, make some promoters feel closer to you, and once you're actually on their side, they'll pay you without any trouble at all.

Going from "some guy that's playing for us" to "one of the people who runs the events," isn't hard at all, and doesnt take much time, assuming you have the slightest amount of people skills. Getting in the door and getting known as a guy who gets things done and doesn't give the promoters trouble is a shit ton more effective than being an ass and demanding resident pay before you even talk to them.

The other solution is to go all out with promoting and managing the event for free, showing them you can run things as an equal, and then after the show, sketch out some plans for a regular gig, and assert yourself in an executive position in that gig, citing all the work you did that night as a sign of good things to go.
    +1
    Facebook : Soundcloud : Beatport DJ : Twitter DJ
    My Show: Sunday Nights 00:00 - 02:00 GMT (7pm -9pm EST) on Fokus FM Radio
    My Setup

hahaha priceless

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Fair call. I play free gigs for folks I know (and like). But not for people who send me a generic "great opportunity" blanket email. I also won't play for free twice, thats just taking advantage.
    Agree.

Also I see this hustle all the time. A place posts "great opportunity - may lead to permanent gig" then next week they say no thanks, and offer a great opportunity to another guy and keep doing that to a new guy each week to have free music for a happy hour or small event for the sake of having free music.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12