I am in need of some genuine advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am in need of some genuine advice

Hi guys, I've been doing some research but in the end I'm just looking for some honest opinions.

I currently own the S4 and last month bagged my first gig in a local bar. I turned up nice and early to set up my stuff and it all went well. But the bar had a set of pioneer CDJ-2000s and watching all the other DJs turn up with either their CDs or USB sticks got me thinking.

As much as I enjoy using the S4 I think i'm falling out of love with it and having now had the experience of setting up/tidying away in a bar I'm now looking at buying a pair of CDJs to use at home so I can then use the CDJs the bar have having experience of at least using something similar.

Firstly, from what I've read on here I think buying a pair of second hand CDJ 800s is going to be my best option. I currently don't have the money for the 900s (which I would get over the 2000s) and again, from what I've read on here, the 1000s don't seem as robust as the 800s.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Whichever CDJs I end up getting, I want to continue using my laptop & traktor as having all my songs to hand is certainly more appealing that having to put them all on to CDs but is this the best option?

Also, I was wondering, with my S4 I got the free upgrade to Scratch Pro 2, now I realise I would have to buy something like the Audio6 or 8 to then use traktor with the CDJs but does this mean I could get it second hand and use the TSP2 serial number that I already have?

I hope this all makes sense and apologies for the long post but there isn't a short version unfortunately.

Many thanks

I ditched my s4 and went the Cdj route . Best decision I've ever made.

I would recommend a used set of 1000s , and a mixer of your choice.

Learn how to use the Cdjs with and without traktor so you are well equipt for any situation
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by lucasmanning View Post
    I would recommend a used set of 1000s , and a mixer of your choice.
    Are you using the 1000s? If so, have you had any trouble/problems with yours? I've read on here and on other websites that they aren't the most durable of decks, especially compared to the 800s or is this simply people (probably) being over zealous with the 1000s?

the 1000s are great players. They were the industry standard for a long time for a reason. They are very durable decks. I would get 1000s over 800s anytime of the day.

I didn't buy 1000s however i got a used set of 850s and then saved up and got a used set of 2000s. The 850s are great, and really not that expensive if you keep your eyes on ebay/craigslist.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Do you use traktor still?

Nope. One of the main reason i got my CDJs was so that I wouldn't have to use my computer when DJing.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Ah ok. Just listened to one of your mixes on soundcloud, really enjoyed it! Keep up the good work.

Still looking for opinions and thoughts on the traktor side of things so if anyone can give some help i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Thanks man!

if you get 800/1000s you will have to use timecoded cds with traktor, which the latency actually isnt too bad.

If you get 350/400/850/900/2000, you can use HID, which is much better than timecodes (advanced HID is only the 900/2000s now as far as im aware, but cant be long till its on the 850s). HID means that the cdjs are connected to the software via usb instead of timecode discs.

If you are set on traktor i would go for the 850s, as advanced HID cant be far off for them.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Thanks man!

if you get 800/1000s you will have to use timecoded cds with traktor, which the latency actually isnt too bad.

If you get 350/400/850/900/2000, you can use HID, which is much better than timecodes (advanced HID is only the 900/2000s now as far as im aware, but cant be long till its on the 850s). HID means that the cdjs are connected to the software via usb instead of timecode discs.

If you are set on traktor i would go for the 850s, as advanced HID cant be far off for them.
    CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Well the fact that I can use an SD card with the 1000s is useful and would mean I wouldn't have to burn any CDs so that sounds right up my street.

Now to find some cheap second hand 1000s......haha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast