How do YOU mix songs? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

There are 5 ingredients used to mix music...

1 Part DJ Software
    1 Part Purchased Music
    1 Part Practice
    1 Part Skill
    1 Part Creativity
    13" MBP 2012 | 4 GB RAM | 2.4 GHz Intel i5
    Traktor Pro 2
    M-AUDIO Trigger Finger | Traktor Kontrol S2

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I'll add my 2 cents to this ...

Duct tape the crossfader
    This, unless...

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    not if your filters are set to them.
    Or a delay
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

@Eliot Han and @Photojojo- I've never thought about that, assigning an effect to the crossfader. I'll try that out.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Orthminius View Post
    @Eliot Han and @Photojojo- I've never thought about that, assigning an effect to the crossfader. I'll try that out.
    Same here, I like the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthminius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgdav3 View Post
    Same here, I like the sound of it.
    the xone:92 can let you utilize the x-fader for effects a and b ... you can have either x as 100% effect and y as 0% or x as effect 1 and y and effect 2 and their respective opposites for full effect kill ... it sounds massive when you are utilizing it in between tracks and transistions ...

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Nice! Can you map it in Traktor itself? (I haven't messed with mapping, btw)

To the OP:

I mix very long and simply:

I like to set my cue points as in (1-4) and out points (5-8). I mix electro, progressive and trance, so the song structures are usually a build up and a break down (if that makes sense). For the beginning, a track usually starts with a simple drum beat or a fading of the melody; Traktor auto-sets this as Cue point 1. Then 32 or 64 beats later, the track starts to build (whether it bring in bass, a melody or a more complicated drum pattern); at that point, I place cue 2. The same happens with cue 3, where the track builds more, usually 32 or 64 beats later. At cue 4, I like to make it the "big part" where the song is either in full swing or is in it's first breakdown. For cue 5, I set it at the second breakdown in case I want to mix in the breakdown of another song there. With 6-8, the same rules as above apply, but the pattern or sound gets simpler instead of more complex. I set cue 6 at the first place that I hear it getting simpler after the second "big part", cue 7 at the next simpler part and cue 8 at the last 32 or 64 beats before the track stops.

So all of that to say: I mix by mixing in Cue 1, 2 or 3 from deck B into cue 5, 6, 7 or 8 from deck A when the track is ending. You can obviously use your judgement to decide on which cue to use depending on the drop of from the "big part" to cue 6 or 7 (or even 8), but this helps me to achieve really smooth mixes between songs since it kind of keep a steady complexity of sound; there is no big switch or drop off of the music that gets the crowd confused or keeps them from constantly dancing.

Hope that's helpful.
    James Rizen - Trance / Prog House / Electro House / Tech House

Sounds: www.Soundcloud.com/Jamesrizen | www.Mixcloud.com/victoryrisen
    Website/Social Networking: www.Jamesrizen.com | www.Onesheet.com/Jamesrizen | www.Facebook.com/Jamesrizen | www.Twitter.com/Jamesrizen

That's interesting. I have less knowledge of progressive and trance, but it seems reasonable.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by victoryrisen View Post
    To the OP:

I mix very long and simply:

I like to set my cue points as in (1-4) and out points (5-8). I mix electro, progressive and trance, so the song structures are usually a build up and a break down (if that makes sense). For the beginning, a track usually starts with a simple drum beat or a fading of the melody; Traktor auto-sets this as Cue point 1. Then 32 or 64 beats later, the track starts to build (whether it bring in bass, a melody or a more complicated drum pattern); at that point, I place cue 2. The same happens with cue 3, where the track builds more, usually 32 or 64 beats later. At cue 4, I like to make it the "big part" where the song is either in full swing or is in it's first breakdown. For cue 5, I set it at the second breakdown in case I want to mix in the breakdown of another song there. With 6-8, the same rules as above apply, but the pattern or sound gets simpler instead of more complex. I set cue 6 at the first place that I hear it getting simpler after the second "big part", cue 7 at the next simpler part and cue 8 at the last 32 or 64 beats before the track stops.

So all of that to say: I mix by mixing in Cue 1, 2 or 3 from deck B into cue 5, 6, 7 or 8 from deck A when the track is ending. You can obviously use your judgement to decide on which cue to use depending on the drop of from the "big part" to cue 6 or 7 (or even 8), but this helps me to achieve really smooth mixes between songs since it kind of keep a steady complexity of sound; there is no big switch or drop off of the music that gets the crowd confused or keeps them from constantly dancing.

Hope that's helpful.
    +1

I play a lot of electro and mix in a similar fashion. You literally explained my cue point placement perfectly

Tech Mentor

play track a, start b when it feels right... that's it

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast