How do YOU mix songs? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Mashing!

I like to mash my tracks to give it a new zest. Then play with the incoming track, by sampling one of the breaks and FXing it.

Then beat mix it as per usual letting it ride....while I use FX.

Swap basslines and ride out....still playing with FX.

Just one method...as you can do SO SO many when you playing digitally.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Since im a techno dj i just loop lots of tracks and make tracks on the fly with help from maschine (i mix the chris liebing and hawtin way)
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

these all sound great when playing various EDM's but for us hip hop fiends, we need our cross fader and sumtimes a heavy cut/drop on the one is all you need. but i love playing with loops and doing sum cue point juggles then drop sum cuts and add a lil echo and BAM drop them shits like bad habits ! booyah bizitches
    http://www.soundcloud.com/durtyjerzy609 Numark TTX1's, Rane TTM57SL, SSL, Novation Dicers, Abelton Live 8, Akai APC 20, Akai MPD18, Alesis M1 520's
    I'm all that and then some, tall dark and handsome

Tech Guru

try all the ways. keeps it interesting. if you do a couple longer blends, follow it with a quick blend. or if you only play 1 minute of a track, the next one play the track longer. if you use say delay or reverb for one transition, next transition try a different effect like filter or flanger. create movement in the set by gradually shifting the bpm of the set upwards or downwards so there's some transformation.

i get bored of same genre. same bpm. same transition style, same fx over an entire hour or two. gotta spice that shit up with some surprise, variation in all techniques is the way to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrong chris View Post
    try all the ways. keeps it interesting. if you do a couple longer blends, follow it with a quick blend. or if you only play 1 minute of a track, the next one play the track longer. if you use say delay or reverb for one transition, next transition try a different effect like filter or flanger. create movement in the set by gradually shifting the bpm of the set upwards or downwards so there's some transformation.

i get bored of same genre. same bpm. same transition style, same fx over an entire hour or two. gotta spice that shit up with some surprise, variation in all techniques is the way to achieve it.
    Spoke for a thousand years! I think the good dj is the one that can genre/bpm transition smoothly, cus same bom shit is easy as fuck..

Tech Wizard

Honestly, somebody said it earlier, but it's really all about programming. And that's not to say that you should have a pre determined set list or transition the same exact every single time. I just mean that if your hotcue's are pre done, loops are pre done (although looping on the fly is pretty simple), if you know your songs well-enough and know how to use EQ'ing like swapping basslines, raising the mids over your incoming track, etc. mixing is made very easy by having everything programmed well. I use at least 1 or 2 hotcues for every track so I can make my mixes shorter if I want. ALSO i dont know if a lot of people use this feature of traktor, but BeatJump is freaking amazing. Basically if you know that a track works in 4 bar counts (16 beats) or 8 bar counts (32 beats) then you can set the BeatJump to however many beats you want to either skip ahead or go back and just click the arrow and voila! Quantize should be enabled as to ensure the track is on a downbeat and a proper beatgrid would obviously ensure of that. Again, all of this stuff is programming. Proper programming leads to a set that sounds great even when every song is picked out on the fly! Hope this helped a little.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456