Money, how much money.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Money, how much money.

Hello!!
    I Understand that this question is rather rude, but i need to ask anyway. (my feelings won't be hurt if no one replies.)

How much money do make as a DJ? as in per gig, no more info.

still, no reply mandatory, this is a really rude question.

thanks,
    nosy noob

Before I say anything, I DJ for a hobby - not as a main line of employment.

When I spin mashups/bootlegs I do it for free because I love it.

I actually have refused money, and instead got comped drinks.

In my mind, once money gets involved DJing loses its fun.

That's just me. I know lots of people think differently (and will accuse me of cheapening the art of djing...)

DJing music, or putting together mixes that I don't care about, that's a different story. I've made $300 multiple times for mixes.

Tech Wizard

this is pretty important, but as the dreaded school season comes around i will be out of work, and i was thinking of DJ'ing for local schools. ( note: i am 14, so i cant get complimentary drinks and stuff.)

$0 to $30,000 or so.

i'm playing for free tonight...last time it went for 6 hours...

what is going on with all the 14 year olds trying to make money from djing? the majority of gigs for working djs are at bars, clubs, or the mobile route (i.e. weddings). pretty much none of those venues are going to want a 14 year old as the dj for many reasons including alcohol, liability, and experience. now, i'm sure there are cases where a teenager was juiced into these kinds of gigs, but it's very rare and they usually know a bunch of people to get them in (or are very, very good).

if you want to dj at local schools, ask your school and see if you can work something out with them. do you have any proper mixes people can listen to?
    Last edited by squidot; 08-05-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

All you kids care about is money you kids just expect to be hired and dj in a club
    When you have no experience. And you kids dont even care about the music it's all about the money
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Quote Originally Posted by corporation View Post
    Before I say anything, I DJ for a hobby - not as a main line of employment.

When I spin mashups/bootlegs I do it for free because I love it.

I actually have refused money, and instead got comped drinks.

In my mind, once money gets involved DJing loses its fun.

That's just me. I know lots of people think differently (and will accuse me of cheapening the art of djing...)

DJing music, or putting together mixes that I don't care about, that's a different story. I've made $300 multiple times for mixes.
    This is the most awesomest mindstate regarding gigging.

I try to go for at least a compensation for costs made.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    All you kids care about is money you kids just expect to be hired and dj in a club
    When you have no experience. And you kids dont even care about the music it's all about the money
    Completely agree. I've been doing this for 2 years starting from the little mouse clicks all the way up to an S4. I actually learned and took it as an art...

I've got a resident gig at a local ice rink and I can say it gets frustrating when money comes into the equation. But every time I go out and play I get the pre-gig jitters. Seeing people happy. That's the fulfilling part.

Spread yourself by talent and your mixes. If you think a logo is important when starting out like that, you're honestly no better than any other commercialized sellout dj.

Spin for the grin, not the green.

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Personally I feel that this chart is a little high, but it also depends on the market you are trying to work yourself into.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast