Self Declaration
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Self Declaration

I thought I should say this, and I hope it's okay by Forum rules and whatever else.

As you can tell, I am new to this forum and essentially new to DJ'ing. I am in high school- however, my goal is to be the opposite of the "teen DJ" stereotype. I am inexperienced, don't have hardware yet, and I am not looking for any serious shows soon, but I know that and acknowledge that.

I am into DJ'ing because it is fun. Right now I am practicing as best I can with my laptop, and everyday I am building my skills.

I know a bit about DJ'ing, however I can't back up anything I know, and shan't have any strong opinions until I have done multiple official shows, gigs or whatever your choice of word.

I wanted to say this so that anybody who reads this has reality with where I am coming from.

Thank you for your time,

Kasey

read/watch youtube
    dig for tunes
    practice

It doesn't matter how many gig's you've done or how many controllers you have, it's about setting goals and dedicating yourself

As long as you're having a good time, nothing else really matters

welcome to the forums
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Thanks- That's exactly the attitude I have. The reason I want a controller is only to make it easier to do the techniques. Qwerty isn't a DJ's best friend...

How can I help, dope?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Orthminius View Post
    I thought I should say this, and I hope it's okay by Forum rules and whatever else.

As you can tell, I am new to this forum and essentially new to DJ'ing. I am in high school- however, my goal is to be the opposite of the "teen DJ" stereotype. I am inexperienced, don't have hardware yet, and I am not looking for any serious shows soon, but I know that and acknowledge that.

I am into DJ'ing because it is fun. Right now I am practicing as best I can with my laptop, and everyday I am building my skills.

I know a bit about DJ'ing, however I can't back up anything I know, and shan't have any strong opinions until I have done multiple official shows, gigs or whatever your choice of word.

I wanted to say this so that anybody who reads this has reality with where I am coming from.

Thank you for your time,

Kasey

Welcome to the forums and DJing in general. A refreshing and thought out post there too, makes a change from tell me this, give me that, entitlement type posts. From what you've said you have the right starting attitude to me, the rest will follow on as you say.

What would you like to know? I think your approach is a good one to learn the software however I know what you're saying it will probably be a good move to get a controller to learn further. I'd also suggest developing your own taste of music, buy tracks you like not just because a certain genre is fashionable, also listen to as many mixes as possible to get an idea of how DJ sets can be put together, the Essential Mix is particularly good for this IMO.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

I guess my weak points are beatmatching by ear, which is natural for beginning, and transferring to a song out of key. Also, just practice. I know I'm not ready for a show yet, and I know that. However, lots of my friends/fellow students are expecting a show in the first month or two of school. So, I am practicing my hardest, and reading another teen thread, will be practicing two-hour sets most days.

Don't think feel............... and another cliche......... practice........practice.......practice.

Been playing out since 1992... in clubs, illegal raves, dope music bars and so on. I still practice everyday for a leat 30 mins.

Keeps you fresh and new tracks are comming in everyday........ so its good to keep it all check.

Stay away from Trance and Dubstep

Quote Originally Posted by BFLY View Post
    Stay away from Trance and Dubstep
    and why again?
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast