A way to boost the drums ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

You really shouldn't need to reach for FX yet. Turn down the other drum parts and turn the bass drum up. If you look at the waveform of dance tracks you will see the bassdrum is usually double the volume of most other sounds. Hence everything else needs to be mixed at 50% or below. Yes some FX can help but it will sound a lot better if you just set all the levels relative to the bassdrum first rather than trying to ram the bassdrum through everything with unnatural boosting via EQs. Think of compression and eq as spices to add to taste, not as a way to fix a fully imbalanced mix.
    Eclectic Electro >> www.modularjack.net

Tech Mentor

parallel compression is awesome

Tech Mentor

Well i'm back !!!
    and I use the compressor, the basses of the kick are awesome. i can do wathever i want with them.
    Thanks Guys !

Quote Originally Posted by 16b441khz View Post
    I dont like to ever compress the main kick drum sound if its all sample/drum machine, different story for live drummer. If you compress it you lose its dynamic range, the reason why it sounds the way it does. To trick the ears you can use what is called parallel compression. Your kick drum sent to an auxillary channel which will be compressed on the auxillary channel. This overly compressed kick is then mixed in underneath the other one to give it a perceived compressed sound. Use google and search for examples and how to's. That will give the best result other than that its eq on other sounds and adjusting volume.
    Best advice you'll see in here, I like to do with with my whole drum kit. If done right, it will make it sound phatter and fuller with out adding any db (or very little) to the master.

Just makes it sound solid, plain and simple

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12