alternative to pitchbend.

Default alternative to pitchbend.

I dont use traktor often so I havnt beat gridded anything in a long time, for this reason sometimes I have to adjust with the pitch bend to properly sync, when doing this your sync function will be lost, not so much a problem when mater deck is in auto but can create headache it decks are synced to master tempo. To work around this I found it better to just shuffle the beatgrid using adjustment in beatgrid section, its just as effective as using pitch bend and the added benifit of not lossing "sync" status. As far as I can see there realyy isnt a problem doing this, for this reason I dont have a lot of tracks beatgrid locked, does anyone see where this may cause a problem for me other than maybe than accidently adjusting bpm rather than beatgrid position whilst that section is unlocked. Im thinking on mapping this function to my K2 as alternative to pitch bend.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Tech Mentor

my advise would be take some time on beatgridding well and for tracks that are not constant bpm wise (live drummer) requires manual beatmatching rather than nudging the grid around mid song as that chances the whole track grid placement

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You won't lose sync status if you are using it in TempoSync mode. That was one of the big improvements of T2.

This may be so if you don't have much music. (manual beatgriding)

I have 973 raw funk and rare groove tracks, impossible to beat grid... due to the very nature of the music.

1,210 East Coast Hip Hop tracks..........

346 Northern Soul tracks ...

1,246 Bebop Jazz tracks....

2,456 proper dub, rude boy, skin head and suede head tracks .........

356 proper U.K Drum and Bass 12's ........ impossible to beat grid... as this is not really quantised and it is a hands on music.. even with cd... you have to nudge these genres.. :-) it keeps you busy.

My huge directories of underground Minimal, Tech , Deep House ......... they are piss easy to mix due to the the four to the floor nature and they are quantized genres... only a fool can clip clop these....

I just use the load to the start of the track marker bizz so I can just go with the flow........
    Last edited by Tommi Bass; 08-11-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Some funk tracks with a lively drummer is just plain impossible to sync together with another funk track with as lively drummer. Maybe using short loops where each one tries to stick to a known pattern, maybe even a 2-bar or 1-bar loop.

Or then ride the pitch wheel constantly. After you know every nook of the record and what the drummer(s) are doing next. Doubt that's a productive way to use the time but some do that.

PS: It helps if you have ever sit behind a drum kit drumming to no click track. Some few rare studio drummers could pull that off, most not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi Bass View Post
    This may be ture is you don't have much music.

I have 973 raw funk and rare groove tracks, impossible to beat grid... due to the very nature of the music.
    1,210 East Coast Hip Hop tracks..........
    346 Northern Soul tracks ...
    1,246 Bebop Jazz tracks....
    2,456 proper rude boy, skin head and suede head tracks .........
    356 proper U.K Drum and Bass 12's ........ impossible to beat grid... as this is not really quantised and it is a hands on music.. even with cd... you had to nudge these genres.. :-) it keeps you busy.

My huge directories of underground Minimal, Tech , Deep House ......... they are piss easy to mix due to the the four to the floor nature and they are quantized genres... only a muppett can clip clop these....

Fuck it......... I don't need this beatgrid shit cus I learnt to mix the oldskool way........ turntables and vinyl... so it trains you for touchie feeley skills.

I just use the load to the start of the track marker bizz so I can just go with the flow........

So learn to mix........... learn to mix ........... learn to mix. Some of you have all this expensive equipment in your bedroom... time to stop upgrading the kit and do the do.

Practice .......... you cannot buy this can you, or talent.

I play out with cdj's, so im comfortable if it starts to drift or trainwreck as I know how to fix it, I just mapped to buttons on k2, one for 2% pitch range and the other for 35% for this reason as I still sometimes beatmatch within Traktor, just because i think its handy to be familiar. In the past I have only used traktor for making mixes but have recently invested in K2 and will start to play out occasionally with Traktor, my motavation is primarily because I want to use 2.5 and the sample launch decks. I just asked as im mapping K2 and I found it better in past to use grid move function, however as im using T2 ill have to check out the tempo sync option.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.