Hercules RMX as a traditional mixer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Hercules RMX as a traditional mixer?

Hi All!

I had an RMX a few years ago and upgraded to a VCI-100 and NI Audio 2. Now I'm buying a pair of turntables and looking for a neat way of integrating my digital music with vinyl, without dropping a fortune on a DVS system. Can anyone tell me how the RMX performs as a mixer (rather than a controller)? It looks to be ideal, unless I'm missing something, offering the best of both worlds as well as a simple way of recording mixes to my computer.

It will live at home 100% so gigging isn't a concern.

Its not powered, so you will still need your laptop. I ran techs using my RMX last year, but always used Timecodes
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Convert

Powering it isn't a problem. I can leave the laptop hooked up to it. I'm returning to vinyl after a 15 year hiatus but was always of the impression that recording everything is the best way to get the most out of practicing.

I suppose I'm more concerned about audio lag ruining the vinyl "connection". Is there a noticeable difference between direct electronic audio signal path as with a regular mixer, versus processed by the RMX soundcard, I guess is what I'm asking.

not really... your computer will still buffer the audio but the delay is only a few milliseconds on an average system. If you want to use traktor you will need to purchase an Audio 4/6/8/10 soundcard or a scratch certified mixer. The RMX will work with VDJ or MIXXX though.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    not really... your computer will still buffer the audio but the delay is only a few milliseconds on an average system. If you want to use traktor you will need to purchase an Audio 4/6/8/10 soundcard or a scratch certified mixer. The RMX will work with VDJ or MIXXX though.
    This, the RMX for the price (sub $200) feels more like a "real" mixer than many of the other expensive controllers (S4 for example) so on that front you are covered.

Mixxx works extremely well as a DVS with the RMX last time I tried it, and its free, so what more could you ask for - apart from a few control vinyls perhaps and it records as well :P

FYI might be worth looking at the stanton DJC.4 Which IMHO would be a better up-to-date option than the aged RMX if you are looking at buying another RMX (which I loved the build of BTW).
    Last edited by deevey; 08-12-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    If you want to use traktor you will need to purchase an Audio 4/6/8/10 soundcard or a scratch certified mixer. The RMX will work with VDJ or MIXXX though.
    I thought the NI soundcard was only required for using timecode vinyl with Traktor? Maybe what I was thinking isn't actually possible; playing records on the TTs and just triggering digital tracks using the controller side of the RMX. Does it have to be full on vinyl+timecodes or else digital, with no "hybrid" mode?

I'd have no problem going back to VDJ anyway. It does enough for me 99.99% of the time, and I always thought recording straight to MP3 was much handier, and a glaring omission from Traktor.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    FYI might be worth looking at the stanton DJC.4 Which IMHO would be a better up-to-date option than the aged RMX if you are looking at buying another RMX (which I loved the build of BTW).
    Was.Deevey from Boards.ie? Small world!

The Stanton looks nice alright but it's twice the price of the RMX on Thomann. I'm hoping to manage a cash neutral switch from the VCI to the RMX if I decide to go that route. i.e. Either find somebody to swap, or else sell the VCI for close to the €180 the RMX costs new. I'm not sure how up to date I need the mixer/controller to be, considering I'm going back to turntables that haven't changed a whole lot in over 30 years

It's not a mixer so you need to route the sound through software first, same story with the DJC.4, accept that will be of a higher quality construction and you have touch sensitive jogwheels that you can use to control other things, and the encoders for browsing & loop control...

The only benefit I can see is the Herc can run timecodes in VDJ LE so you don't need to upgrade although if you do it's half price, the DJC.4 will only give a discount of $50 according to phil's article on digitaldjtips and needs to be upgraded to use timecodes.

Overall the RMX is probably the most cost effective if you want to upgrade and will get the job done until you get more money for a better controller, with VDJ Pro you can use literally any HID or midi controller on the market and VDJ8 is just around the corner which will add features and fix the issues of the current version...

Hopefully more will be teased at the DJ Times Expo starting tomorrow as atomix have been alluding to it on their facebook page lately.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

So wait, why don't you want to use a traditional DJ mixer? You really want to use the traktor effects or something?
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    You really want to use the traktor effects or something?
    Not at all. I'm looking for a way to combine my digital tunes with vinyl in a mix. A handy way of recording the mixes would be an added bonus. When I started back into mixing dance music after a 10-15 year hiatus I spent a fair bit of time and money collecting digital versions of records I had stored in the attic. After that I amassed a collection of newer stuff. I'd rather not have to fork out again buying vinyl copies of music I bought on digital. I will have a DJ mixer too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast