Equipment Recommendations

Default Equipment Recommendations

Just some general musings while sitting here on my sofa a nice California Sunday day when I should take my BMW bike out for a motorcycle trip...

In general, you need to objectively read all kinds of product recommendations. They have a lot of objectivity embedded, such as:

* Someone has invested a large sum of money for a certain piece of equipment so it better be good.
    * Same if someone has a long history of using a certain brand, there's vested interest where even lemons have to be justified.
    * There's also the case where it's best to give an example. My ex-manager is always keen on giving me advice which motorcycle to purchase next. I think the reason is that his garage is shock-full of bikes and he wants 'shop' for me.
    * Some get stuck on an old technology concept so any new ideas are frown about, ex: Twitch and no jog wheels.
    * Some just don't know anything about equipment, they got something for cheap and use that as their internal reference while not knowing what better sounds or works.
    * Or then they don't want to spend much on equipment and justify cheaper alternative as good enough or really good, while this might not be the case.
    * There's also the envy or some company doing really good products so they have to find all kinds of excuses, sometimes valid, sometimes silly, to take that down.

I really like someone who describes not just pros, also the cons, concerning why they recommend something, just to be more objective.

Anyway, time to take out my bike.

Oh, here's another one about product recommendations about products not yet released. Casio this year had a big PR marketing bang about them re-entering the synthesizer Hw market with XW-P1, all kinds of YouTube clips and so on. I was a little bit intrigued as I needed a cheap but good stage synthesizer. So when it finally shipped and I could test it over at GC it was the most plasticy hardware synth, hardware wise and sound-wise, I've ever encountered. So just read between the lines when the next new thing is being hyped.