Questions regarding audio account set up in Windows 7

Default Questions regarding audio account set up in Windows 7

Hi guys, I took a couple of years off of deejaying when my son was born but it is itching it's way back into my life
    So i am now trying to set up my new HP pavilion i7 machine for traktor pro 2 and ableton to run with my mpd24 and hercules RMX.

The thing is....
    I used to run all this first on a windows xp (which worked great) and later on a vista machine but i got so tired of messing with vista (drop outs and spikes) that i stopped completely. So now i have this new machine and i want to set it up good and propper so i don't look like a tool performing with driop outs and such, so i figured i need to make a seperate account for my audio.
    I already got the tutorial from the NI site to make my laptop audio friendly but
    Things i'd like to know now are:

is it possible to make a seperate (sub) account that has no windows updates, internet or unneccesary programs running, and a lot of the laps hardware turned of while still maintaining full functionality in my normal account? i have a network set up at home for streaming and such and i don't want to be manually activating or deactivating stuff constantly.
    I know i would be better of with a seperate laptop but finances atm make this impossible
    I just figured that maybe if i made seperate accounts i could just have my audio account start up with traktor running and no hassle?

thanks in advance for your time and thoughts on this
    If there is already a thread covering this please just direct me to it and close this one
    thank you
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Tech Mentor

That's not quite possible, since Windows update, networking etc are system services instead of account specific settings. The traditional method is to have a dual boot install, with a barebones OS for audio work and a regular one for everything else. I'm not sure how it's done in 7, and to be honest I've been perfectly happy with its audio performance without any specific tweaks.

do you mean i should just try it as it is? won't the hardware and updates cause spikes and drop outs?
    HP Pavillion 17" , i7 core 2nd gen, 8Gb ram / Traktor Scratch Pro 2 / Ableton Live suite 8 & 9 / Traktor Kontrol S4 / Traktor Kontrol F1 / 2x Numark TT200 / Hercules DJ Console RMX / Akai MPD24 / Evolution MK425C / Evolution UC33 / Sennheiser HD215 / M-Audio Audiophiles BX5A active monitors

Tech Mentor

Absolutely, try the easiest way first! Windows 7 is much improved over Vista when it comes to audio performance. A lot of the performance is up to the audio interface drivers - in my case, M-Audio was a total no-go with anything but XP, but my Focusrite Saffire and Numark 4Trak both work wonderfully under Win7 x64 without any additional tweaks. I run them on ASIO with ~7.5ms total output latency, and I've got a relatively ancient Core 2 Quad.

Also, note that a lot of the "audio optimization" guides floating around the net are based on 2000/XP-era information. Things such as switching processor scheduling to background tasks usually make things worse for audio on Win7, not better!

ok i will try that, thank you for the swift reply!