Traktor sync vs no-sync (hybrid) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    yep. Ignore the train spotters, mostly one single one in the audience that has nothing else to do. Sync if you want to. If it sounds good, it is good.
    amen

Quote Originally Posted by phloston View Post
    I am torn between using sync or not. (well not really, i'll wind up using sync because beat-matching takes too much time)

But I find it really annoying to have to beatgrid every track. Sometimes I just want to throw a track on a deck and freeball it. However, when I'm playing decks without sync I can't' really do much in the way of 3-4 deck looping effects warping goodness.

So my question is whether there is a way to find some sort of middle ground with some tracks synced other not? Or moving from synced tracks to non-synced?
    I've encountered a few people who refuse to beatgrid and sync because they consider it cheating. They just manually beatmatch everything and yet they're using controllers, with software like Traktor. I have no problem with "manual" beatmatching, as that's what I grew up on, but to me, this is like buying a washing machine but not using the "automatic" option and choosing to just fill it with water and wash things by hand because otherwise it would be "cheating".

I go to my friends place and use his system and get annoyed at the fact that all his tracks with 4/4 time signatures read "65BPM" and he just says "I just double it in my head because I know it's actually 130 and not 65". I try to explain that he's not using the software to the full potential, then he tells me he's not interested in sampling, looping, etc and just wants to mix straight from track to track as if it's vinyl and he's using a basic 2 channel mixer with a 3-band EQ on each side.

It's a head-scratcher that's for sure...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tokenasianguy View Post
    I've encountered a few people who refuse to beatgrid and sync because they consider it cheating. They just manually beatmatch everything and yet they're using controllers, with software like Traktor. I have no problem with "manual" beatmatching, as that's what I grew up on, but to me, this is like buying a washing machine but not using the "automatic" option and choosing to just fill it with water and wash things by hand because otherwise it would be "cheating".

I go to my friends place and use his system and get annoyed at the fact that all his tracks with 4/4 time signatures read "65BPM" and he just says "I just double it in my head because I know it's actually 130 and not 65". I try to explain that he's not using the software to the full potential, then he tells me he's not interested in sampling, looping, etc and just wants to mix straight from track to track as if it's vinyl and he's using a basic 2 channel mixer with a 3-band EQ on each side.

It's a head-scratcher that's for sure...
    i'm not that guy. trust me .. I've been getting more used to mixing in traktor over the last week and yeah.. i'm just beat gridding everything. actually traktor does it automatically. espicially with dance music around 128 its almost perfect.

why would you want to worry about keeping already quantised music in time again when you could be using that mental power to making more interesting mixes

Quote Originally Posted by phloston View Post
    i'm not that guy. trust me .. I've been getting more used to mixing in traktor over the last week and yeah.. i'm just beat gridding everything. actually traktor does it automatically. espicially with dance music around 128 its almost perfect.

why would you want to worry about keeping already quantised music in time again when you could be using that mental power to making more interesting mixes
    Sorry I rambled without making my point.

Beatgridding is a serious pain, but for me it's worth it, to spend whatever time it takes to do it properly, so that when I play, I can use the software's (and my own) full potential.

I rented a car this weekend, automatic, sure it was not like my manual one but hey I could drive 2,771 miles with no problems and nobody on the road complained.

Syncing has it's uses, but it'd really help you if you could beatmatch manually as well.

This is an age-old argument.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I sync pretty much exclusively unless I'm mixing in vinyl.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12