Traktor sync vs no-sync (hybrid)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Traktor sync vs no-sync (hybrid)

I am torn between using sync or not. (well not really, i'll wind up using sync because beat-matching takes too much time)

But I find it really annoying to have to beatgrid every track. Sometimes I just want to throw a track on a deck and freeball it. However, when I'm playing decks without sync I can't' really do much in the way of 3-4 deck looping effects warping goodness.

So my question is whether there is a way to find some sort of middle ground with some tracks synced other not? Or moving from synced tracks to non-synced?

Banned

The solution is learning how to beatgrid quickly on the fly. it's very very easy for EDM, and can be done in 5-10 seconds, mid-set. Check out the video EAN posted about his "preparation mapping" for the s4 for ideas.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    The solution is learning how to beatgrid quickly on the fly. it's very very easy for EDM, and can be done in 5-10 seconds, mid-set. Check out the video EAN posted about his "preparation mapping" for the s4 for ideas.
    Some tracks I can beatgrid fairly easily within maybe 20 seconds. Others are more finicky. I don't want to be messing around with beatgrid forever at a gig. I would like to be able to do it by ear! Is that possible?? IF I could hear a click.. or another track in my phones and then use a knob or buttons to adjust it until it sounds right??

Practice beat matching more then.

you wanna do it more by ear, then beatmatch more.

Carl Cox can do 4 decks on cdjs with looping functions no problem. Take a watch at some of laidback lukes djsounds on youtube, or calr cox for that matter. Rekord box helps with this to make sure your loops are quantized but you still have to beat match.

Tech Guru

when i first got traktor (after already djing 'normally' for 10 years) i used sync, because i could, but i got bored very quickly! the only time i use it now is if im djing with a friend and we are running a dual traktor set up
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

And the phase view helps a lot in Traktor as well to get things in place with no sync.

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    And the phase view helps a lot in Traktor as well to get things in place with no sync.
    yup was going to say the same thing!....all you gotta to set the bpm at the same number at the track playing....do you best to press play with the same drum beat....and if you're off (it will show on the phase view) then you just nudge the jog wheel til you see no more orange on the phase view.

now thats beat matching w/o headphones LOL....but i guess might as well press sync at this point.

i have my phase view turn off. so i can practice beat matching and listen to the headphones is the only way to see if you're off or not

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kensic View Post
    now thats beat matching w/o headphones LOL
    also known as waveriding (or phase riding in this case)

Tech Wizard

If you know how to beatmatch, as any proper DJ should, then you know that it's a very simple process that ends up taking 30 or so seconds that could be used towards other things to enhance your set like beat juggling, using remix decks, using FX, etc...why not just sync it up? OR you could use the rule of thumb that if you're using 2 decks = NO SYNC. 3 or more decks = SYNC. I don't know man, do whatever makes you happy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Ryan View Post
    If you know how to beatmatch, as any proper DJ should, then you know that it's a very simple process that ends up taking 30 or so seconds that could be used towards other things to enhance your set like beat juggling, using remix decks, using FX, etc...why not just sync it up? OR you could use the rule of thumb that if you're using 2 decks = NO SYNC. 3 or more decks = SYNC. I don't know man, do whatever makes you happy!!!!
    Yep. Ignore the train spotters, mostly one single one in the audience that has nothing else to do. Sync if you want to. If it sounds good, it is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast