F1 vs Mixtrack Pro.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Try having your finger ON the button before pressing it and not just hitting it like a pad. I know I had those issues when I had a numark mixtrack. The hardware button response is kinda sketchy.

You'll love the S4 buttons compared to the mixtrack's.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

Quote Originally Posted by The Pancaker View Post
    Try having your finger ON the button before pressing it and not just hitting it like a pad. I know I had those issues when I had a numark mixtrack. The hardware button response is kinda sketchy.

You'll love the S4 buttons compared to the mixtrack's.

This brings something to my attention...
    The play button doesn't do anything until I release it. I can hold it down for an hour and nothing would play.
    Must be broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Quote Originally Posted by DJKyleHughes View Post
    The play button doesn't do anything until I release it. I can hold it down for an hour and nothing would play.
    Must be broken.
    So under Preferences > Transport > Cue Play (CUP) Mode is on Instant right??? I don't mean to ask twice but I had this issue before and it was the update that reset it for me, I just had to select from On Release to Instant.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Mentor

I'm thinking this is because the mixtrack pro is Midi while the F1 is HID? Correct?
    MIDI has been used in music for over 30 years, for sequencing, for piano/keyboard players, it didn't just come about for DJ controllers, I think its safe to say that a keyboard player using MIDI would need the latency to be miniscule in order to play. Can you imagine trying to play a keyboard with other musicians and every time you hit a key, there would be a delay, from the time you hit it to what you hear, it would be insanely annoying and sound totally off. So to suggest that you can't hit the button "in time" because of midi wouldn't be the case. We are talking miliseconds, barely noticeable, if at all.

Must be broken
    you have to change your settings in the MIDI mapping to instant, or uncheck reverse....this is why you can hold down the button and when you let it go it plays, your setting needs to be changed, its not broken.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    MIDI has been used in music for over 30 years, for sequencing, for piano/keyboard players, it didn't just come about for DJ controllers, I think its safe to say that a keyboard player using MIDI would need the latency to be miniscule in order to play. Can you imagine trying to play a keyboard with other musicians and every time you hit a key, there would be a delay, from the time you hit it to what you hear, it would be insanely annoying and sound totally off. So to suggest that you can't hit the button "in time" because of midi wouldn't be the case. We are talking miliseconds, barely noticeable, if at all.
    MIDI from a keyboard into a synth and MIDI into a computer application like Traktor are very, very different things. The synth doesn't have to translate the MIDI message, and then trigger a command, it simply plays the note that the keyboard sends. The difference is a MIDI control change command vs a MIDI note. And just to cement that point, long chains of sequences and MIDI automations had infuriating amounts of latency, anything above maybe 2-3 modules controlled off of one chain had to be patched differently. Hence why the MPCs have multiple MIDI busses.

And yes, the delay is "a few milliseconds," 25-30 in my experience with basic controllers without tuning, more than enough to throw less than perfect timing off. "A few milliseconds" is waaaay more than enough to throw a track out of phase.

Tech Mentor

25-30 milliseconds delay is ridiculous, even with the stock sound card built into your computer.

The reason OP is having these issues is because his play button is set to "cup." He won't ever get it right unless he holds and releases on cue. Not to mention the buttons on the MixTrack are less than desirable ...

25-30ms delay isn't bad, 25-30ms of LATENCY would be bad. Delay is latency + processing time + driver/output delay (if any). I could get my S4 down to about 18, and my Maschine likes to sit around 20-25.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    So under Preferences > Transport > Cue Play (CUP) Mode is on Instant right???
    This sounds right
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Wizard

I've noticed with my mixtrack it actuates on the release of the cue button. But I use my midi fighter for cue points so I can't remember too well!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    MIDI from a keyboard into a synth and MIDI into a computer application like Traktor are very, very different things. The synth doesn't have to translate the MIDI message, and then trigger a command, it simply plays the note that the keyboard sends. The difference is a MIDI control change command vs a MIDI note. And just to cement that point, long chains of sequences and MIDI automations had infuriating amounts of latency, anything above maybe 2-3 modules controlled off of one chain had to be patched differently. Hence why the MPCs have multiple MIDI busses.

And yes, the delay is "a few milliseconds," 25-30 in my experience with basic controllers without tuning, more than enough to throw less than perfect timing off. "A few milliseconds" is waaaay more than enough to throw a track out of phase.
    I am not debating anything that you are saying because, even though I have used MIDI for years, I am not all that versed on the technical aspects. But what about when it comes to sequencing in music and also for lighting cues. I guess because it can be programmed and quantized and not actually live, that would make a difference. I still can't see that the reason the OP can't hit it "in time" is because of MIDI latency vs HID. Its just hard for me to believe it would be THAT bad. It sounds more like the "reverse" is checked in the settings and the track is playing on the release and not the hit. I do agree that the mixtrack buttons aren't the greatest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12