Set up Advice

Thread: Set up Advice

Tech Wizard

Default Set up Advice

Hey Tech Toolians,

I'm lame I know. Anyway I just sold my NS6 with the thought of switching to traktor. I want to buy a new controller but need help because I don't know how certain things interface with each other. I bought a F1 and I am soon to buy a Midi Fighter 3D to operate the remix decks, this much I know will work how I want it to. But I am at an impasse because I have a fork in the road that only has more forks as I choose one side. My initial thought was to buy a S2(So I would have a S2, F1, and Midi Fighter 3D). But I realized with S2 that I would not have control over the C and D decks as a whole. Obviously I will have the control over the decks but not the faders, EQ, and FX without going to the computer. So I think I need to buy a S4 then when my midi fighter and F1 are plugged in I will then be able to over lay FX and fade in and out of those channels as a whole.... I think that makes sense.

Ok question 2 which could potentially be a whole new post maybe. I then was at the local store and the CDJ-2000's caught my eye. So if money were no object would it benefit me to g other CDJ route and would I still be able to fit the midi fighter and f1 in my setup just as seamlessly as I would with a S2 or S4. I have used the CDj's and love the workflow but I don't know how they would interface with the midi fighter and F1 if at all they way I want them to.

THanks in advance for any help.

Tech Mentor

If you want 4 deck control, you need an S4 or equivalent controller, lots of guys on here can recommend alternatives to the S4, what is your budget?

Why do you have the F1 and the 3D to controll renix decks? Wouldn't one do the job just fine?

The New version of Traktor has Support for Pioneer CDJs through HID, the benefit being that if Traktor takes a dive it's not a show stopper. You would also need some type of controller for your effects, or take the 3D off sample deck duty and use it for FX. You would need a mixer if you went this route though.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    If you want 4 deck control, you need an S4 or equivalent controller, lots of guys on here can recommend alternatives to the S4, what is your budget?

Why do you have the F1 and the 3D to controll renix decks? Wouldn't one do the job just fine?

The New version of Traktor has Support for Pioneer CDJs through HID, the benefit being that if Traktor takes a dive it's not a show stopper. You would also need some type of controller for your effects, or take the 3D off sample deck duty and use it for FX. You would need a mixer if you went this route though.
    The budget is pretty high. I don't want to go above like 4g's end product. I could take the midi fighter off of a sample deck and roll with it as a FX controler. I have seen some pretty sweet looking mapping for that on this site. I was looking at mixers but that is a bit overwhelming finding what I think is the right one. I think I like the Denon mixers I was looking at but I can't honestly give a good reason why. Basicly going off of feedback I read on them.

Tech Mentor

If you were happy with the NS6, software not withstanding, a natural alternative would be the Numark 4Trak. I've been very happy with mine.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Phaided View Post
    The budget is pretty high. I don't want to go above like 4g's end product. I could take the midi fighter off of a sample deck and roll with it as a FX controler. I have seen some pretty sweet looking mapping for that on this site. I was looking at mixers but that is a bit overwhelming finding what I think is the right one. I think I like the Denon mixers I was looking at but I can't honestly give a good reason why. Basicly going off of feedback I read on them.
    The Pioneer DJM900 and the A&H DB2/4 seem to be mentioned the most often around here. The Denon mixers got good reviews over on djforums from what I remember. I suggest watch a lot of videos because the work flow between the different brands can be quite different. A pair of CDJ2000 and a DJM900 is going to exceed your budget unless you are willing to shop used.

I like my F1 for remix decks, no experience with the MF but the FX mappings for the 3D look pretty slick.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.