Overkill? Dubfire @ Bobo Beach video
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Overkill? Dubfire @ Bobo Beach video

Just watched this to see the setup:

Noticed he -Dubfire is still utilizing Maschine and a 3 deck setup. Third deck I presume (cannot see the screen clearly enough)is now running the sample decks and a Kontrol F1.

My point is at when does all of this technology and options take away some of the soul of the music? e.g someone comes to hear a set and favorite record comes on, hand in the air moment. And it's radically altered with the sample decks and Maschine?

Is the option of using these 'tools' a necessary gimmick?

I personally play house with four decks (Traktor and X1's) and use many times percussive intros or sections of other records to to fill 'dead space', 'breakdowns', mixing records etc with elements at the time I feel necessary. or not.

To break it down is a setup like Dubfire's overkill???

"My point is at when does all of this technology and options take away some of the soul of the music? e.g someone comes to hear a set and favorite record comes on, hand in the air moment. And it's radically altered with the sample decks and Maschine? "

dj craze once mentioned that a big focus of his early djing was taking records that everyone knew and doing something different with them. imo thats a big part of what djing is about. granted the result is sometimes going to be messy (i know i've been there), but i think a really technical dj is a great thing. ofcourse song selection and other things are just as, if not more important, than being technical. but i think djing really becomes an art when the dj begins to alter (scratching, remixing, etc.) the records he/she plays live.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

really noob question here...if he's using machine to loop and launch samples how does it stay synced to the overall bpm? or is he just using the machine to trigger one shot samples and using the F1 for loops and what not?
    https://soundcloud.com/birdsofprey2
    https://twitter.com/MikeOshell

"Ask no questions, you hear no lies" -- Mark Strong

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    "My point is at when does all of this technology and options take away some of the soul of the music? e.g someone comes to hear a set and favorite record comes on, hand in the air moment. And it's radically altered with the sample decks and Maschine? "

dj craze once mentioned that a big focus of his early djing was taking records that everyone knew and doing something different with them. imo thats a big part of what djing is about. granted the result is sometimes going to be messy (i know i've been there), but i think a really technical dj is a great thing. ofcourse song selection and other things are just as, if not more important, than being technical. but i think djing really becomes an art when the dj begins to alter (scratching, remixing, etc.) the records he/she plays live.
    I guess in a way i'm playing devils advocate here. I agree with all of the above. Not that I have used it but I think Maschine in a setup looks and seem's a brilliant addition to a four deck setup. Heck even the old Acid house dj's used to bring in a drum sample for another channel and play it along.

I'm just curious as to why a Kontrol F1 is necessary to an already large sampler, deck setup? Fighter jet's interfaces are being simplified to get rid of 'Information overload' and to me this seem's with an additional Kontrol F1 the same 'information overload and maybe unnecessary?

Using two X1's an Akai LPD8 and one of the X1's Midi on off options in a mix (to enable loop active on-off) I feel slightly overloaded.

Maybe Dubfire was using it to see how it operates in a live setting and ive opend a can of worm's here

Quote Originally Posted by MyMotto View Post
    really noob question here...if he's using machine to loop and launch samples how does it stay synced to the overall bpm? or is he just using the machine to trigger one shot samples and using the F1 for loops and what not?
    All about midi send, pretty baffling until I saw this video:

you forget Dubfire is a grammy winning producer...this is all childs play to him...and he's good at it...obviously...

When guys like Dubfire, Hawtin and Chris Liebing play, they really aren't playing "tracks" per se, they are just taking parts from tracks along with loops they make on the spot and samples and are building solid underground grooves to keep you moving and dancing. They really aren't going to play the "hands in the air" type of music to begin with anyway, the tracks they play are straight up tools and in order to get the most out of them you really need to be able to work them live like that.

This is where DJing is going to be in the future me thinks. Instead of producers spending hours working and tweaking an arrangement, they are just going to create the loops and tools and leave it up the DJ to use them as they see fit.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    This is where DJing is going to be in the future me thinks. Instead of producers spending hours working and tweaking an arrangement, they are just going to create the loops and tools and leave it up the DJ to use them as they see fit.
    I don't think the production game will change that much any time soon. Sure there will be more sample packs made for people to use in this way but IMO it's nowhere near being the future.

If the day arrives where EDM production is reduced to just sound design and a sample pack format just for someone else to play with it I'd gladly move on to another type of music.

Mind you, I enjoy show show of the likes of the producers mentioned earlier in here so don't take me as a hater.
    Last edited by padi_04; 08-17-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Hmm....probably a noob question too, but, can what one sees in that video actually be considered "good"? I guess a better and more noob question would be, what is good about it? Yes, I am being totally honest here. I didn't see anything challenging in those 9+ minutes from my personal (amateur) DJ'ing perspective. What techniques are used that I missed and are special, cause I want to learn about those things. You know, those techniques, which are actually considered good amongst DJs and need mastery to do well and I seriously don't know what "good" is, especially when I watch a video like that or from the likes of Hawtin and Liebling and think, "What is so special about that?" I don't want to put down their hard work at all. I must simply be missing something. Again, I am really being serious. What techniques used in this video are truly "good" and top class? What could I learn from it? Can someone point out some of the techniques in that video that are hard to do or something that needs mastering through tons of practice?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBay View Post
    When guys like Dubfire, Hawtin and Chris Liebing play, they really aren't playing "tracks" per se, they are just taking parts from tracks along with loops they make on the spot and samples and are building solid underground grooves to keep you moving and dancing. They really aren't going to play the "hands in the air" type of music to begin with anyway, the tracks they play are straight up tools and in order to get the most out of them you really need to be able to work them live like that.

Oooo.

Guys like Hawtin, Dubfire, Liebing are stupidly talented and experienced DJs who can pull shit like this off, have you heard others try it? Or heard it done badly?

I remember going to see Isolee earlier in the year and being bored shitless because all he was doing was triggering loops, it was souless and repetitive and I'm a huge huge techno fan so I love my repetition..... It's a great idea when its done well... but otherwise...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast