Question about beat grids.

Default Question about beat grids.

Hi there all tech tollians!

This is my first post here on DJTT after reading this forum almost everyday for a year now. My plan was to let my set up be my fist post, but after moving abroad and leaving my set up at home, it will have to wait.

Before I explain my question, I want to say that I am fairly new to DJing and what I am about to ask is probably very noobish, but how cares. Better to have asked.

My question, as you can probably guess for the title, is concerning beat grids. I think I understand what they are, but my question is what they "effect"? Do I need to beat grid my tracks to do simple things like beatmaching?

As I said, this might be a very stupid question. The reason I ask is, while I might not be able to practice for half a year, I might as well spend some time beat gridding my tracks if it is needed. Off course while missing my decks back home

Technically you don't really need to beatgrid your tracks, but it makes your life a lot easier.

If all of your tracks are gridded perfectly, just a quick glance can tell you if they're perfectly in sync or not.
    It becomes really useful if you use the sync function with cue jumping as it syncs them up to the beatgrid.

Hope this helps.

Tech Mentor

Beatgridding doesn't affect your beatmatching at all. Sync wont work properly unless your grids are properly aligned.

However, your effects i.e. Beatmasher, Filters will be affected.

Yes effects are really affected if songs are not beatgrided imagin an eco/delay that will delay of beat. That will happen if you use delay if the song is not grided on the beat. But most of the time Traktor does a good enough job on it's own but some songs need adjustments.
    DJ setup 1 - Pioneer XDJ-Aero, Pioneer DDJ-SP1, Mixvibes Cross, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000. DJ setup 2 - NI Kontrol F1, Z1, X1mkII, Traktor Pro2, Macbook Air 13", Pioneer HDJ 2000 w. Production - iMac 21.5", Motu 828x, Icon Qcon Pro + EX, Nektar Panorama P4, Propellerhead Reason, Mashine Mikro(drum programer in Reason)

Thanks for all the responses guys. Looks like I will spend some time checking the beat grids then

There are some threads here, and I believe an article on the blog regarding beatgrids, and how to set them ahead of time, as well as on the fly. Take a look, there is some really good info that will save you some time gridding. Unless your collection is small, and you need something time consuming to do lol
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.