kickstarter projects
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default kickstarter projects

I was just browsing around on kick-starter.com, & found a couple of interesting projects that would be great for DJ's.

MacBook Pro users. This looks like a great idea for mounting your lappy somewhere secure;

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninevolt/digiplate

....& how about some extra storage in that SD card slot you don't use;

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ifty-minidrive

Both of these are fully funded, but i've messaged both developers to see if they're any closer to getting them to market.
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Jesus Crap, nearly $400,000 just to make a smaller SD card??? I need to start a kickstarter campaign....
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

$20K to build a laptop stand???

I'm an honest guy but I see an easy way to scam on Kickstarter. Just come up with an Apple accessory that all the fanboys will blog about, pay about a $1000 for a nice computer animation, than ask for $20K. That's $19K in profit.

Then just don't deliver, or deliver some garbage product.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    $20K to build a laptop stand???

I'm an honest guy but I see an easy way to scam on Kickstarter. Just come up with an Apple accessory that all the fanboys will blog about, pay about a $1000 for a nice computer animation, than ask for $20K. That's $19K in profit.

Then just don't deliver, or deliver some garbage product.
    And thats why its:

—You are 18 years of age or older.
    —You are a permanent US resident with a Social Security Number (or EIN).
    —You have a US address, US bank account, and US state-issued ID (driver’s license).
    —You have a major US credit or debit card.
    Kinda pisses me off, but it means its less likely that you'll do a smash and dash, and in all honesty if your accessory is that popular to begin with you'd probably be as well off actually doing it legit seeing as its already pre-sold and gotten exposure.

Its not "that" easy to invent something worthy of alot of people buying into it, if it was everyone would be an inventor.

Tech Guru

I think it looks like a pretty badass laptop stand, personally.

^^

That's true, but there is no rule or anything saying you have to deliver or make good. So even though they have your personal information, there is nothing anyone can do if you decide to just keep the money.

As for your other point, that's the whole motive of a scammer. Most good scammers could probably do something legit if they just put their mind to it, but they prefer scamming. Scamming is usually just coming up with a cool idea that most people like, then not actually doing all the actual work.

I'm not arguing with you or anything as it seems like most things on Kickstarter are legit, or at least they have good intentions. Is there anyone keeping track on how many actually follow through? I've followed a few projects and never saw anyone talking about the products they received. Is it 50%, 75%, 90% that actually deliver the product as promised?

All the articles I've seen define kickstarter "success" as reaching their funding goal. That seems weird to me, I thought "success" should mean actually producing what they claimed.

Edit: I guess some study says 25% of them deliver on time, the rest get "delayed".

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. Back to the products
    Last edited by crakbot; 08-17-2012 at 03:50 PM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    ^^

That's true, but there is no rule or anything saying you have to deliver or make good. So even though they have your personal information, there is nothing anyone can do if you decide to just keep the money.
    True that, but fraud is a Federal crime and you'd wanna be willing to take a hell of a lot of heat seeing as they would have all your personal details to begin with.

As for your other point, that's the whole motive of a scammer. Most good scammers could probably do something legit if they just put their mind to it, but they prefer scamming. Scamming is usually just coming up with a cool idea that most people like, then not actually doing all the actual work.
    True that - I think they have done as much as they can to safeguard everyones interests without going completely nuts and asking for surrendering of passports or something.

Back on topic though ...

One that really made good ... Quneo

Some of their biggest successes are Watches and Watch Accessories though .. check this badboy

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ef=most-funded over 10 million dollars in sales before even producing a single unit

The Lunatik ipod Nano strap started off on kickstarter as well

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ef=most-funded

And I really like this charger ..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e?ref=category

And these headphones look gorgeous and built like tanks ...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e?ref=category
    Last edited by deevey; 08-17-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Jesus Crap, nearly $400,000 just to make a smaller SD card??? I need to start a kickstarter campaign....
    He got $400k to only make an adapter for using a microSD card in the SD slot! It doesn't include an actual memory card.
    And he keeps saying that it is adding memory to the computer when it's just a flash drive (adapter).
    It must be the British accent....

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Damn! I didn't see my chance to become a millionaire!

I've been using an SD card as a replacement for USB sticks and as an additional amount of memory for my notebook for years!
    In my case the card's size fits the card reader so no need to downsize the card.
    The NI trio - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Maschine - Komplete - and some more gear...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by RockingClub View Post
    In my case the card's size fits the card reader so no need to downsize the card.
    What card is that? Do you use a MacBook pro?
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast