If you're listening, Ableton...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If you're listening, Ableton...

...Traktor and VDJ (VDJ ESPECIALLY) are taking some of Ableton's features and incorporating them into their DJ software.

If Ableton pays just a little more attention to the needs of DJ's, we'd ALL be better off!!!

If Ableton could JUST implement proper vinyl control of tracks/channels (with Ableton's internal Master Tempo matched to the to tempo of the audio being played on each channel - so, effectively, a master tempo for each track/channel) Ableton would absolutely blow these other DJ software out of the water.

The routing, handling of FX, etc... in Live is second to none. Add DVS, and Ableton is the BEAST for DJ's that it should be!

Instead of users being happy that VDJ/Traktor are incorporating little bits of Live functionality, we're actually disappointed that Ableton doesn't add just a TINY bit of DJ functionality to Live.

C'mon, Abes! Don't fall off!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    ...Traktor and VDJ (VDJ ESPECIALLY) are taking some of Ableton's features and incorporating them into their DJ software.

If Ableton pays just a little more attention to the needs of DJ's, we'd ALL be better off!!!

If Ableton could JUST implement proper vinyl control of tracks/channels (with Ableton's internal Master Tempo matched to the to tempo of the audio being played on each channel - so, effectively, a master tempo for each track/channel) Ableton would absolutely blow these other DJ software out of the water.

The routing, handling of FX, etc... in Live is second to none. Add DVS, and Ableton is the BEAST for DJ's that it should be!

Instead of users being happy that VDJ/Traktor are incorporating little bits of Live functionality, we're actually disappointed that Ableton doesn't add just a TINY bit of DJ functionality to Live.

C'mon, Abes! Don't fall off!!!
    If Ableton would
    1. Implement proper midi control of ALL functions, I dont want to touch a keyboard or need to supplement stuff with a midi to keystroke convertor !!!!!
    2. Allow modifiers keys without a third party software in place.
    3. implement a proper browser with midi control (preferable itunes).
    4. Allow Native playing of MP3 files without the need to convert them all to WAV first.

Once the basics above are covered I'd be happy if they would implement DVS control - but not until they are covered.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    If Ableton would
    1. Implement proper midi control of ALL functions...
    Out of your list, this one is the only one that I'm really missing. I wish that every single thing could be mapped to a midi note or CC.

Oh also I want

1. A 3/4 Band EQ as standard (adjustable curves in prefs) - Seriously this is a basic function on any regular DJ mixer since ... forever.

If they are going to continue marketing to a DJ/remix community it just makes plain sense that you don't need to take up space in your rack adding simple stuff stupid like an EQ, and then needing to edit it or try to download one one that just "works" as the defaults do not zero at 12' O clock like a real EQ.

2. Independent scrolling waveforms displaying per channel - in the clip play/stop area would be fine so long as its re-sizeable, but I want to see a realtime display of multiple waveforms so I can visualize everything better.
    Last edited by deevey; 08-19-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Tech Guru

miss pinky max for live = timecode control
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

miss pinky max for live = timecode control
    I think he means native control in fairness. Needing to pay for M4L and then needing to pay for ms Pinky and then a compatible sound card is a little rich.

Torq or Mixvibes Routed into Ableton channels is cheaper and tidier if DVS is really needed and soundcard is included for less than max+pinky

I'm starting to get pissed waiting for the next incarnation to "maybe" add some features and will probably to Traktor + f1 if things dont change soon.

Miss Pinky is a player that sits INSIDE ableton. Has it's own tempo, and is not sync'd to lives master tempo.

Not what I want.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post

1. A 3/4 Band EQ as standard (adjustable curves in prefs) - Seriously this is a basic function on any regular DJ mixer since ... forever.
    They already have this in live. Its under Audio Effects and its called "EQ Three". Its not as good as the virtual EQ in Traktor, or VDJ but it is something.

Appart from that, could someone clarify why everyone wants Ableton to be a DJ program? I feel that its role is as a production suite and a performance program for those productions. There's many DJs who use it (and I've tried it myself), but in the end I think that Ableton is perfect as it is, for what it was designed to do. What we're asking Ableton to do is take a DAW and make it a DJ program. Thats like asking Apple to make iTunes better for DJs and include waveform displays and a crossfader.

Currently, I think that the perfect setup for using Ableton's effects and clip launching features is routing Traktor (or VDJ) audio into Ableton or routing Ableton into Traktor (or VDJ). Rather than make Live into a DJ player, I think its better to use Live how it was designed and use that in conjunction with a DJ software.

Down the line, I'd like to see a more easily integrated option or maybe a new program entirely with a workflow built for DJs. A program released by Ableton just for DJs would be the best possible option, but I don't know if they're interested in doing that.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Tarekith's EQs are a pretty good alternative. They are bundled with a bunch of FX here.

AbletonLiveDJ collected some time ago a list of features that DJs would require, such as having two waveforms showing at the same time, decent to good file browser showing iTunes/id3 tags and so on. AFAIR the response from Ableton was that they rather focus on features for production work.

I switched over to Traktor, more fun. If I want Ableton Live I could incorporate both. Live is still fun for production work but there's a point in time when warping tracks on your spare time becomes labor of non-love.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast