Traktor vs VirtualDJ - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A "workflow" is a linear procedure of actions. If you have a linear procedure for mixing music you should loosen up because something that sounds good for one mix wont necessarily sound good for another.

I am definitely ignorant on the topic but my mind has not changed from saying "I'd suggest you take some classes in software design" that is not an answer... what if I choose a courses that is not as good as the one you did or was provided conflicting information. I am sure interface design would include the fact that we have a left and right side, as well as photography concepts of things like the rule of thirds were your eyes are drawn to first, but that does not amount to a "workflow".

Unfortunately when someone says "workflow" I still think "noob".
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

You admit that you are ignorant on the topic, but then you want to call other people noobs?

I think that says as much about this topic as anything I could possibly write...
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    If you value being able to buy something that has minimal setup time but still allows a small degree of customisability, If you value the construction of the kontrol series controllers, If you value OSX over PC, If you value your reputation of not using "noob" software over having the ability to do literally anything you can think of with the software then get Traktor.

If you value no setup time with great performance but little features and almost no customisability get Serato Itch/Intro. If you want to be known for your oldschool beatmatching and need the reputation get Serato Scratch Live.

If you value not having to pay for software but want customisability and are prepared to wait 12 - 24 months for a fully featured Infinity customisable open source program get MIXXX, One day mixxx will be the best as there is no limitations to what gets included and no advertising or partner restrictions to stop anything from happening. The problem is that it relies on the community to code it and doesn't have a full time dedicated development team to push the software forward.

If you value being able to customise and "tightly integrate" your own controller with the software through mapping, If you value being able to use most VST effects and use as many effects as you like at one time, If you value being able to customise the appearance of your GUI, If you value being able to use any soundcard or any controller to it's maximum potential, If you value being able to incorporate video into your sets and use any freeframe video effect that are sold online by an enormous community of post production video editors, If value being able to use any timecode, If you value being able to create your own addons to the software then get Virtual DJ Pro 7.

VDJ Pro is the hardest to master but the most rewarding, IF you crack the software a whine about how the software crashes and you have issues suck shit! I use a paid for version and have no issues whatsoever. VDJ7.1 will be released next week and should make traktor a redundant choice, but we still don't know what will be included so I may be jumping the gun on that comment, but I doubt it.
    Thanks for your long and detailed reply.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondavid View Post
    Thru personal use and experience:

I found that Virtual Dj was more of a beginners type djing software. I personally felt that after creating a few mix tapes/mashups and DJing 1 or 2 parties (when i was younger) i felt that i "needed" more

I like how the newer virtual dj updates are making it more competitive in the market but i always felt like something was missing.

Traktor on the other hand opened new doors for me, making me feel more "closer" to my equipment, i felt way more professional, and thru the use of Traktors extensive amount of effects and amazing workflow, i have been able to clean up my mixing to produce 20x better than i could have before.

just my 2 cents
    I'm agree with you about Traktor is more advenced.

Thanks for your replys. I think the answer to my question is: Traktor.

Tech Wizard

I personally started out with VirtualDJ but eventually made the switch to Traktor. I'd say that if you have a controller that is designed for VDJ then stick with it as it will likely be a great setup, but if you've got any controller that you need to map go with Traktor. I've found it a lot easier to map controllers to Traktor, and the macros that you can do with it are completely unparalleled by any other software. In the end though I'd say it probably comes down to your style of DJing.

I love Traktor because I can have every button on any controller that I have do whatever I need it to, and the beatmatching is perfect and easy to set up. Also, the effects in Traktor are amazing. VirtualDJ is great with certain hardware though. I'd say look at both and figure out which makes your DJing more fun and easier.

"and the macros that you can do with it are completely unparalleled by any other software" this is simply untrue, VDJ's scripting much more advanced, try making any of the djtt style mappings without firmware or middleware in traktor, you wont get very far...

"In the end though I'd say it probably comes down to your style of DJing" This statement has no real meaning, I have read it hundreds of times though...

"beatmatching is perfect and easy to set up" not if you use a non native instruments approved controller, if the jog doesn't work properly then you can't beatmatch properly. My friend has a pioneer ddj-t1 which comes with it's very own version of traktor, the jog response is terrible, making beatmatching harder than it needs to be.

"VirtualDJ is great with certain hardware though" This is not true, VDJ LE is the worst of the LE software's, the eq and effects are terrible and not even close to traktor. The scratch response is terrible when compared to Intro. VDJ Pro is great with ANY hardware, is a much truer statement based on facts not marketing propaganda.

Sorry to pick your post apart "jaredweiss" but that is the general consensus, and all of it is not based on reality.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 08-19-2012 at 03:41 PM.

Tech Wizard

VDJ's scripting much more advanced, try making any of the djtt style mappings without firmware or middleware in traktor, you wont get very far...
    I've made several mappings for my iPad and I really have no idea how you can say that mappings without firmware or middleware isn't good. I haven't been able to get anywhere near what I can do in Traktor with VDJ. Traktor for one is tons easier to work with in mapping. You just select an action and then learn it to the midi control. And they are just as powerful if not more powerful than what VDJ can do. I've personally never been able to do much with VDJ. I found it confusing and counterintuitive. Maybe if you write the scripts in binary you'll get better performance but I think that its much more beneficial to have a software that everyone can use which ends up being Traktor.

not if you use a non native instruments approved controller, if the jog doesn't work properly then you can't beatmatch properly.
    I started out using Traktor with my keyboard. Didn't use the sync button. Didn't just hope for the best. But I beatmached properly. With a descent mapping its very easy. A ton easier than in VDJ.
    And Jog response is an issue with the controller, not with the hardware. A bad jog on a controller will be just as bad in VDJ.

This is not true, VDJ LE is the worst of the LE software's, the eq and effects are terrible and not even close to traktor. The scratch response is terrible when compared to Intro. VDJ Pro is great with ANY hardware, is a much truer statement based on facts not marketing propaganda.
    Ok. I can't argue with that. VDJ LE is pretty bad. I should have specified in my comment that I was referring to the pro version which works very well with the hardware made for it. Otherwise, I would never use it. If the hardware isn't made for it, mapping is a pain, and the results you get are subpar compared to Traktor.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by aarondavid View Post
    Thru personal use and experience:

I found that Virtual Dj was more of a beginners type djing software. I personally felt that after creating a few mix tapes/mashups and DJing 1 or 2 parties (when i was younger) i felt that i "needed" more

I like how the newer virtual dj updates are making it more competitive in the market but i always felt like something was missing.

Traktor on the other hand opened new doors for me, making me feel more "closer" to my equipment, i felt way more professional, and thru the use of Traktors extensive amount of effects and amazing workflow, i have been able to clean up my mixing to produce 20x better than i could have before.

just my 2 cents
    This is probably the best response here.

I still don't believe that you have even attempted to use VDJ in any serious way. And not sure how you found "beginner" software "confusing and counterintuitive" that makes no sense and sounds like Chinese whispers to me.

Please provide examples of mapping being better in traktor and I will easily match or better them... you can get a copy of VDJ Home to test I have Traktor Scratch Pro 2 so I can test your mappings. If you are talking about the controller manager where you can choose different actions, the only difference in vdj is you type what you want and it will show all verbs related to what you typed eg.

if you type "cue" it will show you the related verbs with descriptions and examples of their use:
    • cue
    • cue_play
    • cue_stop
    • hot_cue
    • cue_select
    • cue_button
    • set_cue
    • goto_cue
    • delete_cue
    • cue_name
    • etc... (there is 11 more verbs in the list)

This is pretty easy and the way I learnt how to map before finding the list of verbs on the vdj forum but it contains the same information it's just easier to see all in one place.

You can't say that if a jog doesn't work properly in traktor that it is the same in VDJ... VDJ has an attribute in the definition file where you put in the ticks per revolution so the program can perform the mathematics required for perfect translation of the jog messages from hardware to software. Traktor does not allow this to third parties they instead rely on a modifier for the sensitivity which is imprecise and hardly ever yields decent results.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast