Traktor vs VirtualDJ
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Traktor vs VirtualDJ

Which software is great for DJing; VirtualDJ or Traktor and Why ?

Best Regards

They are both great for DJ'ing, because they both PLAY RECORDS.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

They'll both do exactly what you need them to do if you learn the software.

They are both better in different ways
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Tech Wizard

i feel like this can turn into an argument on whats better and whats not, all based on peoples preference. ive used both i like traktor because for some reason it feels like you have go the extra step to make things happen. where virtual dj seems a little more user friendly, everything is right there in front of you. but ive been using virtual dj a lot more now because of my djc.4, and also the sample banks is a plus for me on vdj. both great for what it is meant for dj'n

If you value being able to buy something that has minimal setup time but still allows a small degree of customisability, If you value the construction of the kontrol series controllers, If you value OSX over PC, If you value your reputation of not using "noob" software over having the ability to do literally anything you can think of with the software then get Traktor.

If you value no setup time with great performance but little features and almost no customisability get Serato Itch/Intro. If you want to be known for your oldschool beatmatching and need the reputation get Serato Scratch Live.

If you value not having to pay for software but want customisability and are prepared to wait 12 - 24 months for a fully featured Infinity customisable open source program get MIXXX, One day mixxx will be the best as there is no limitations to what gets included and no advertising or partner restrictions to stop anything from happening. The problem is that it relies on the community to code it and doesn't have a full time dedicated development team to push the software forward.

If you value being able to customise and "tightly integrate" your own controller with the software through mapping, If you value being able to use most VST effects and use as many effects as you like at one time, If you value being able to customise the appearance of your GUI, If you value being able to use any soundcard or any controller to it's maximum potential, If you value being able to incorporate video into your sets and use any freeframe video effect that are sold online by an enormous community of post production video editors, If value being able to use any timecode, If you value being able to create your own addons to the software then get Virtual DJ Pro 7.

VDJ Pro is the hardest to master but the most rewarding, IF you crack the software a whine about how the software crashes and you have issues suck shit! I use a paid for version and have no issues whatsoever. VDJ7.1 will be released next week and should make traktor a redundant choice, but we still don't know what will be included so I may be jumping the gun on that comment, but I doubt it.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Thru personal use and experience:

I found that Virtual Dj was more of a beginners type djing software. I personally felt that after creating a few mix tapes/mashups and DJing 1 or 2 parties (when i was younger) i felt that i "needed" more

I like how the newer virtual dj updates are making it more competitive in the market but i always felt like something was missing.

Traktor on the other hand opened new doors for me, making me feel more "closer" to my equipment, i felt way more professional, and thru the use of Traktors extensive amount of effects and amazing workflow, i have been able to clean up my mixing to produce 20x better than i could have before.

just my 2 cents

I hate when people say "workflow"... You are not creating anything, you are playing music, if you think you are creating something you should lay off the effects and become freer in your mixing styles ... A DAW can have a "workflow" dj software doesn't, but if it did it's play a song, play another song, mix in, repeat. If anyone can explain their opinion of what "workflow" means and how it is related to djing I'd love to hear it, otherwise I will think anyone who says it is a tool.

"and through the use of Traktors extensive amount of effects and amazing layout"
    "and through the use of Traktors extensive amount of effects and amazing interface"
    "and through the use of Traktors extensive amount of effects and amazing intuitive design"

/rant
    Last edited by tekki; 08-23-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Banned

I workflow, or maybe a similar word, definitely has it's place in DJing... It's all in the details. We're all playing tracks and mixing them, but the details vary. some of us use cue points a lot, different EQ set ups different numbers of decks, etc.

Tech Mentor

I'd suggest you take some classes in software design, particularly human interfacing and ergonomics. Why do you think large software companies have entire teams dedicated to the 'look' and 'feel' of an application.

Your rant makes you sound very ignorant on the topic.
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast