first mix (need some pointers please)
    Tech Wizard

Default first mix (need some pointers please)

Could give me some pointers on crafting a mix with the intention of booking gigs?

Right now I'm just looking to get out and play some small parties, clubs, bars w/e. I'm willing to settle on what I get to play and obviously I can't cool shit right away and am probably expected to play top 40 and stuff. At least from the networking I have been doing I have some people willing to work with me but are interested in hearing a mix first (obviously).

So before I get started on that I was wondering if any of the more seasoned and professional dj's could give me any advice on getting the best bang for you're buck. I run traktor 2.5 at home on my laptop and use allen+heath controllers and can work my way around teh program and my music pretty good now. How would I best record the mix within traktor? What length would you suggest the mix be for this purpose? I don't scratch. What would be some necessary elements in the mix to let people know its me. Some type of tag I gather? Should I use all top 40 or could I mix in some of what I consider to be hipper music if it makes sense?

Sorry if this post is rather unlettered and all over the place but I think you get what I'm saying. Just trying to get as much advice as I can before I post my first mix. Thanks!

Best bet is to record your mix with audacity, it's ridiculously simple.

As for the mix, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=creating+a+mixtape+dj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac View Post
    Best bet is to record your mix with audacity, it's ridiculously simple.

As for the mix, http://lmgtfy.com/?q=creating+a+mixtape+dj

Haha.. A google searcher link.. How infinitely original of you!

I really hoped to just get a convo going so I could perhaps glean some info that my save me a revisit after I make my mix.

Also when you say use audacity, do you mean route the audio to audacity with soundflower (or some analogous program) and record it?? If thats the case I will just do it in ableton. Same thing.

Also I was hoping to get an idea on the length it should be. How quick the transitions should be. And whether cursing should be censored. Remember I'm talking about the quickest and cleanest way to attract gigs

Tech Wizard

If you're planning on using the mixtape to get gigs you may want to read this article.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/02...-not-mixtapes/

A mixtape will help you get gigs at parties but I completely agree with whats said in that article about using mashups to attract club gigs instead of mixtapes. In order to get a gig, you need to be noticed, and a mashup will certainly get you noticed a little more than a normal mixtape. Mixtapes however are useful to show who you are in a DJ community (such as DJTT) but I feel again that mashups will help you gain more ground.

If you do still decide to do a mixtape, a good length may be in between 10 and 20 songs. Make sure that you make it different though. Make it attractive somehow to your type of audience.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jaredweiss View Post
    If you're planning on using the mixtape to get gigs you may want to read this article.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2011/02...-not-mixtapes/

A mixtape will help you get gigs at parties but I completely agree with whats said in that article about using mashups to attract club gigs instead of mixtapes. In order to get a gig, you need to be noticed, and a mashup will certainly get you noticed a little more than a normal mixtape. Mixtapes however are useful to show who you are in a DJ community (such as DJTT) but I feel again that mashups will help you gain more ground.

If you do still decide to do a mixtape, a good length may be in between 10 and 20 songs. Make sure that you make it different though. Make it attractive somehow to your type of audience.
    I understand what you're saying and have read the DDJT blog however referring to an underground/house music night as opposed to top40/pop 'EDM'; I wouldn't book someone to play at a club night on the basis of a 7 minute long mashup, no way at all: a mashup tells me nothing about how the DJ would construct a club set. Your final point I completely agree with.

OP. I appreciate it is difficult to get promoters to listen to more than 15 minutes, so make the first few tracks/transitions interesting. I tend to quickly skip through a mix see if the style is to my liking which takes just a min or so, I then revisit from the start if it meets the genre/style I'm looking forward. Similar method to tune shopping really.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

I'd honestly be surprised if the promoters listened to even 5 minutes of your mix, they simply have too much on their plate to deal with you.

Some useful tips:
    Don't start with a phrase of a drum intro, go straight into it.
    At the very most use a verse and chorus from a song then mix out. Any more and they'll get bored.
    Make sure you know on what basis the promoters choose their residents and guests. This takes some work but is often well worth it.

You don't know what to record in a mix, yet you want to get actual gigs?
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    You don't know what to record in a mix, yet you want to get actual gigs?
    +1

Also if your playing top 40 no ones going to care if its mixed, you dont need a dj for top 40 just itunes