Moods

Thread: Moods

Tech Wizard

Default Moods

So....
    My Mountain bike got stolen recently, which bummed me out and pissed me off.
    Within two hours of discovering this, I sat down and mixed dubstep (brostep?) for a long time. (not really that long, about an hour and a half, but it felt long.) I had stopped mixing dubstep because i did not crave the "bass face" feeling.

Aside from that being one of my best mixes to date, I started to wonder if my mood had effected this.

Does your mood affect your mixes? Not club/gig mixes, but at home when you are mixing for feeling, and mostly fun?

Absolutely. Music is specifically played in certain keys and tempos to elicit different feelings and responses.

Some songs make you sad, some make you happy, some make you want to go out etc.

What music you mix at home is an extension of what music you listen to - as such it either dictates or can be dictated by your mood.

when i feel really lazy & unmotivated to do the assignments/essays..then i hit the decks.
    if not pure record listening will do

definately!! however no matter how bad a mood i'm in when i start playing, i always come out the other end feeling a hell of a lot better

Tech Guru

music is god's prozac!

I find i play different styles when i am in different moods. like when i am happy and in a party mood, i play electro, if i am in a doom and gloom mood, i play bass music and seep techno/house. And when i wanna shoot someone in the face i play dubstep.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    definately!! however no matter how bad a mood i'm in when i start playing, i always come out the other end feeling a hell of a lot better
    I couldn't agree more. Some of my best mixes have been started when I am in an absolutely foul mood and over the course of a couple hours (and more than a couple beers, etc.) go from stomp you skull style techno to That Perfect Track sending chills down the spine to sappy diva house and me totally chill.

When I'm chill to begin with my mixes tend to be a lot more static - which is not necessarily a bad thing because they are a lot more consistent as well. But the roller coaster ride of emotions from playing through a shitty mood can lead to some really interesting mixes.