Difference between Hip Hop DJing vs. EDM?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Difference between Hip Hop DJing vs. EDM?

What are the main differences between these two? Other than that hip hop is hip hop and edm is edm, haha.
    What are the different techniques involved in each one?
    I am currently a beginner EDM mixer (and producer in the future, i am still learning ableton live atm) , and my friend wants me to be like a hip hop dude and produce beats and stuff for him.
    What is it going to take to be a hip hop dj? For hardware I have a Traktor S2, which I cant scratch on -_- and an iPad (TouchOSC, Instant Gratification)
    Last edited by Ugadeee; 08-24-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ugadeee View Post
    What are the main differences between these two? Other than that hip hop is hip hop and edm is edm, haha.
    What are the different techniques involved in each one?
    I am currently a beginner EDM mixer (and producer in the future, i am still learning ableton live atm) , and my friend wants me to be like a hip hop dude and produce beats and stuff for him.
    What is it going to take to be a hip hop dj? For hardware I have a Traktor S2, which I cant scratch on -_- and an iPad (TouchOSC, Instant Gratification)
    Depends on what you define 'EDM' as? If you mean dance music in general, then there are loads of genres, all of which can be mixed in lots of different ways. However if by 'EDM' you mean the current explosion of dance music in the US, then I would say that is mainstream/pop/TOP40 electro house/dubstep which is simply pop music IMHO and probably lends itself to cutting on the drop etc.

I don't know much at all about hip hop but to be honest most mixing techniques can be used across the different music genres, it depends on track really; cutting, long transitions, double dropping, scratch and release.

Don't know if I've helped or not?!

Have a good w'end.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

spinning hiphop can be a whole lot different than EDM, as most dance tracks are produced with longer 8 or 16 bar intros, clearly defined build and breakdowns, and long outros for mixing purposes... but hiphop aint like that.... hiphop dj's (like myslef) are often forced to set loops for mixing or do sum fun cue juggles and yeah we heavily rely on sum decent scratching... youll often fine hiphop djs dont do alot of long mixes..we do alot of heavy drops on the first downbeat..or drop from chorus to chorus the best we can to provide some linear yet building energy.. hip hop dj's also arent afraid to cut out a beat completely to scratch an intro then let it rip... look for the early mixes by guys like stretch armstrong or check out a dude called dj eskei...

http://www.soundcloud.com/durtyjerzy609 Numark TTX1's, Rane TTM57SL, SSL, Novation Dicers, Abelton Live 8, Akai APC 20, Akai MPD18, Alesis M1 520's
    I'm all that and then some, tall dark and handsome

The concern is 'your mate want you to make hip hop beat'

What do you want to do? If its hip-hop then great - if it's EDM, then do that. Don't just do what others want you to do ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by durtyjerzy609 View Post
    but hiphop aint like that.... hiphop dj's (like myslef) are often forced to set loops for mixing or do sum fun cue juggles and yeah we heavily rely on sum decent scratching... youll often fine hiphop djs dont do alot of long mixes..we do alot of heavy drops on the first downbeat..or drop from chorus to chorus the best we can to provide some linear yet building energy.. hip hop dj's also arent afraid to cut out a beat completely to scratch an intro then let it rip...
    im glad i seen this, because i came from doing reggae/dancehall parties which i played hip hop too. but also had someone in the crew run the mic, and it got kinda awkward when playing solo because thats what i was used to, looping or heavy dropping, or dropping on a specific word play of the mic man. so i continued but felt like it wasnt the way to go.
    the edm can take quite a long mix-in transition, where as hip hop like stated most of the times can't there are the select few songs that will flow in a long transition but not all the time.. but as Sherlock Ohms said it's what you want to do. i was told if you dont like the music you're djing then it will show in your playing.

What is it going to take to be a hip hop dj?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by durtyjerzy609 View Post
    i just realized that this guy has been a regular in one of my local clubs for a while

I'm not totally sure if you're talking about production, mixing, or both/either.

When I DJ EDM I'm usually more about big breaks, drops, sort of a more "impressive" feel (doing more work! lol). Lot's of sampling, mixing between songs, etc.

Hip hop DJing for me, is generally more smooth. I like to really let each track play, do looonggg transitions between songs, and get the mood where I want it to be.

I know that's more ideology than tech advice, but I thought it might help.

Cheers.

i'm pretty new but i do both..... imo the diffrence is the beat structure. EDM follows the 4 on the floor most of the time, while hip hop is still in 4/4 time but has more intricate drum patterns. The way i mix hip hop everyone is different is I cue the 2 or the snare drum and drop on the 2. While with EDM i Cue on the 1 and drop on the down beat. I know thats alot of music theory but it will come to you naturally with time bro. For making beats i use Ableton. i start with setting the master clock at a hip hop tempo. From there i turn on the Metronome and set my akai or any midi controller i have to my drum samples and start from there then add bass and lead, with those 3 elements you will have a nice start for someone to ryme over. With the Quantize of Ableton and the metronome you will be in time and sound good hardest part i think is doing the bassline and lead that takes some music theory. Lmk if you need help GL

edm: we get paid less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast