What gear should I get to learn how to scratch on? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

The legend of a cheap chinese knock-off? Sure.

Banned

Do you guys even get the concept of wow and flutter?

I do:

DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Banned

That question more to the hardcore fanboys of the "SuperOEM"'s though.

From another forum:

"You could also read the technical specs on the clones -- if they're even provided -- to get some idea of how close they come in performance to the SL-1200. The key areas in which most of the clones fall short are wow and flutter, which Technics specified at 0.025% WRMS for the SL-1200, and rumble, which Technics specified at -78 dB. The Stanton's wow and flutter is 0.1%, four times what an SL-1200 delivers."

Tech Guru

It is written in the stanton manual as less than 1.0

http://www.stantondj.com/pdf/manuals/st150_manual.pdf

I've used both turntables and I know dj's that have/played with both and the difference is NOT in the wow and flutter. Adjusting to the pitch fader and the pushing the platter is where allot of people struggle with the Super OEM decks. They don't need as much of a push most of the time to get to speed. Most DJ's that have learnt on Technics mix by pushing the record and moving the fader instinctively on these turntables and get freaked out when their mixes go out of phase... they are just not used to the motor! Get two of the same records throw them at the same time on a 150 and they stay in time extremely well.

Fair enough Technics are a safe bet for a club install because most Dj's will be at home but to write the super OEM's off as crap a turntables is pretty dumb and ignorant. There are tons of people that use them and love them - people that have gone from techs to super oem and prefer them and also the other way around. There is no need to go over the top and bash on brands and peoples equipment so you can feel superior about your precious techs this debate has been done to death get over it.

Say I want to scratch samples inside of Traktor, not physical records. So what exactly would I need?

I have Traktor and an APC 40 with a decent crossfader, and an audio interface with plenty of inputs and outputs and two inputs have a pre-amp.

Would I just need a turntable and the timecode vinyl or do I need any other additional hardware?

You need an Audio 4/6/8/10 soundcard, S4 or one of the scratch certified mixers to use Traktor with timecode vinyl.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    You need an Audio 4/6/8/10 soundcard, S4 or one of the scratch certified mixers to use Traktor with timecode vinyl.
    Thanks. So I need an Audio 4 and an external mixer or just the Audio 4?

Sorry for the simple question, I just never looked into turntables before.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

You can map your APC for the job.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    It is written in the stanton manual as less than 1.0

http://www.stantondj.com/pdf/manuals/st150_manual.pdf

I've used both turntables and I know dj's that have/played with both and the difference is NOT in the wow and flutter. Adjusting to the pitch fader and the pushing the platter is where allot of people struggle with the Super OEM decks. They don't need as much of a push most of the time to get to speed. Most DJ's that have learnt on Technics mix by pushing the record and moving the fader instinctively on these turntables and get freaked out when their mixes go out of phase... they are just not used to the motor! Get two of the same records throw them at the same time on a 150 and they stay in time extremely well.

Fair enough Technics are a safe bet for a club install because most Dj's will be at home but to write the super OEM's off as crap a turntables is pretty dumb and ignorant. There are tons of people that use them and love them - people that have gone from techs to super oem and prefer them and also the other way around. There is no need to go over the top and bash on brands and peoples equipment so you can feel superior about your precious techs this debate has been done to death get over it.
    Bang on. Also wow and flutter spec sheet numbers are pretty arbitrary and don't neccesarily translate to the real world. Like you said, the biggest issue is tech users getting used to the stronger (better???) motor and quicker response.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast