What gear should I get to learn how to scratch on?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What gear should I get to learn how to scratch on?

I want to get a main set for my room, and take out on special occasions.

I already have a S2, but I want a mixer and some turntables, what do you guys recommend? I can't spend a lot of money

just learn on the s2 for now. you can at least start getting the muscle memory of scratching and using the crossfader down. i would save up for some technics for the long run though, which you can sometimes find for a good deal on craigslist and the like. i think it's better to learn that way then to buy crappy turntables only to upgrade later since you currently have everything you need to get your feet wet.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Guru

Definitely get a turntable, I scratch a lot and theres no comparison between an S4/S2 to a turntable. One of the biggest problems I have with the S4/S2 is that neither give you any kind of feedback for where your cue point is (VCI 380 has the LED circle). Although you can learn on an S4/2 it's much better to learn on vinyl, you have a greater range of motion and you don't have to look at your computer screen to see where your sample is. Nothing against the laptop I just find it better to be looking at what your hands are doing, I feel it reinforces the learning.

You could also upgrade to the S4 and do timecode vinyl with it. If you can afford a tech 1200 get one, if not you can always get a cheaper direct drive stanton turntable. I started with that and some butter rugs (essential, since the torque is lower) and I got by just fine.

Tech Guru

pick up a cheap super OEM turntable and a basic scratch mixer. Shouldnt cost you more the $250-300.

I picked up a pair of stanton t120cs and a behringer nox404 for 450 or so

I am a huge fan of direct drive CD players, ie, CDJ's with motorized platters. I think the combination of something spinning plus the versatility of having CDs is pretty cool when it comes to hardware. I however am completely done with hardware and have gone the full MIDI route, but that's a different discussion. and it must be said, I will still miss the pull of the platter at my fingers.
    oh, I'm selling my denon DN-S3500's right now. just throwing that out there

Banned

Save your money for 1200/1210's. Anything else is shite, and only a f*cking noob would tell you otherwise.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by snoemu5a View Post
    Save your money for 1200/1210's. Anything else is shite, and only a f*cking noob would tell you otherwise.
    you are a fucking idiot. Having owned techs and a bunch of super OEm decks, the stanton St150s are superior to 1200s in every way for scratching. Only fanboy morons who haven't used them say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by snoemu5a View Post
    Shame on you, sir.

Get decks, 1200/1210s/SuperOEM/Stanton STR8 150s are all good.

You can do the basics with any mixer, though getting something with a GOOD crosfader, and nice clear area around the faders is a plus in the longer term
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

If I were buying a new TT it would be the stanton... used I would still probably lean towards a 1200. I really am a Technics fanboy, they really made a solid piece of gear, but that day is done and the stantons seem like the current champion.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast