DJ Drop Help

Thread: DJ Drop Help

Lightbulb DJ Drop Help

i have been working on a decent DJ drop/intro. I am still tweaking the vocals in the intro but could i please get some feedback on what needs changing...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post

i have been working on a decent DJ drop/intro. I am still tweaking the vocals in the intro but could i please get some feedback on what needs changing...
    Do you mean a drop or an intro? Those are different sections. The intro pretty much kick/snare for 8 bars, add hats for 8, add one more musical or percussive element for 8 bars, add another element for 8 bars, now you're ready for the first floaty section where the beat disappears for a bit and the actual song starts coming together and builds up to the first drop at bar 65 which is usually where the main bassline comes in.

Laying out a song is about picking and chosing which layers come in and out and in which order. For DJ tracks the main structure you'll find is 32 bars of intro for mix in at which point you don't want too much musical stuff happening so it can be blended with songs in other keys w less hassle, then 32 bars with no beat as the music starts coming together and building up, now the bass drop and 32 bars of bumping energy, back to 32 of bars floating/wailing/more intense build up, followed by the main drop with 32 bars of very high energy, then the outro which is 32 bars that steadily removes the energy until the track is back to the basic drum pattern it started with, and the track is over.

Course not every track follows this 100% but that's your standard song structure for DJ friendly arrangement.
    Eclectic Electro >> www.modularjack.net